Shopping for an Edge-Gluing Veneer Splicer

Advice (and some sales pitches) on veneer splicer options. April 18, 2010

Question
We have been using a small zig-zag splicer for a couple of years and are looking to move up to an edge gluer, in order to eliminate tape removal from our sanding process. Is anyone running one? What kind are you using? Pre-applied glue or on the fly? Any comments on the ease of use and reliability of these machines?

I've been using an edge glue splicer for the last 12 years. Started with a stitcher. Kuper makes the best splicers, but they are very expensive. If you can afford it, I would recommend the Kuper FL-Innovation. Works great and is very operator-friendly and easy to maintain. I have used the Diel splicer, and it's an okay machine, but requires a lot of maintenance and a little bit more skill to operate. It's also a lot cheaper. Just remember -you get what you pay for.

As far as the glue process itself, I've found through many tests that pre-gluing your veneer and letting the glue dry before you splice your veneer creates a much stronger splice line and reduces the chance of splice line failure tremendously. Gluing on the fly, as they call it, fails about 50% of the time, and you have to work much faster at the splicer due to the fact that the glue is setting up in your glue pot and you only have about 20 minutes of open time once it's mixed. Pre-gluing your veneer allows you to glue up large batches and you don't have to hurry. Pre-glued veneer is usable for up to 8 hours.

From John Van Brussel, forum technical advisor:
We sell the Furniertechnik veneer splicer with built-in glue application. In my opinion the key component to any of these machines is using the correct glue. Glue application which is adjustable is also very critical. The advantages of the built-in glue applicator are you can run small batches. The machine only uses about a cup to a cup and a half of mixed glue. It also saves space as you do not need to have a dedicated glue application area. The machine is not as fast as a machine using pre-applied splicer glue, but in my experience the customers buying a longitudinal splicer are not looking for production. Keep in mind you can pre-apply the glue and turn off the glue applicator and it will splice faster.