Showing Off Sycamore

Sawing and drying pros show photos of sycamore (quartersawn, spalted, and clean-shaven). February 14, 2006

Does anyone have any nice pictures of sawn sycamore? I'm trying to decide if I should try to get a few logs that recently died from the drought here and pay to have them sawn. Is sycamore easy to air dry?

I love sycamore; it is great to work with, especially with hand tools. It is stunning when quarter sawn.

Quarter sawn sycamore:

Quarter sawn sycamore:

Spalted sycamore:

Quarter sawn and spalted sycamore:

How easy is it to dry? My sawyer has a vacuum kiln. Should I have him run it through the kiln, or just air dry it? I can easily get it to 12 percent or maybe lower where I live by air drying in my barn.

Sycamore goes nuts when drying it - you need to weight it down or clamp it.

Sycamore finishes out pretty well. When sawn green it does move quite a bit. When spalted, it just lays there and takes the sawing just fine. Quarter sawing aids in making it lay flatter and adds to the looks quite a lot.

I saw Doug Stowe, a nationally known Eureka Springs Arkansas wood artisan last Saturday. I took a picture of a few of his little boxes that sell for mega bucks and this one happens to be QS sycamore. The picture does not do the box justice.

Here is a sycamore domino box I made with Mesquite accents. The reddish swirls are heartwood. This was from an 8" limb I sawed on my Delta bandsaw before I got my mill.

Here is a better one -

Here's a little box I made from sycamore.

Here is the inside.