"Silver" Finish Formulas

Suggestions for applying a silvery metallic base coat with a clear top coat. December 8, 2006

Question
I recently received a finish from a client that she calls a "silver finish," which appears to be a light gray dye stain under a clear coat with some form of metallic/shimmer additive. It is fairly transparent, but still has a definite silver look (it is going over quartered maple). I used a product several years ago that was supplied to me by a designer, actually an aluminum powder that I wiped on dry and removed evenly (I recall it being labeled on the can as aluminum oxide powder). It seemed to work pretty well. I am looking for any input on a silver finish over maple that meets the criteria explained above. I use primarily ILVA dyes and seal and topcoat with Chemcraft products. Is an additive the way to go for the shine or are there pre-mixed products that would work better? Is there anything that would achieve this look in one step?

We use a silver powder in the finish. We get it from M L Campbell. It works great and there are no extra steps.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can use a conversion varnish over an aluminum oxide product. The acid may cause the aluminum to turn black. Bringing this up just in case.

I don't know if you are able to get RKR Coatings in the U.S. or not, but I have used their Silver Metallic Spray Stain (Waterborne) and it provides a great, almost stainless looking finish. I've tried it on oak and maple with great results. Finish coated with satin waterborne lacquer.

You can put an automotive mica in the sealer and get a metallic look. I have done this with Chemcraft Washcoat 546-8001 and in topcoat 431-8320 and had great results. It doesn't take much, and you will have to spray it though a cup gun, as the mica will clog an AA type sprayer.

1 - Acrylic silver base coat
2 - Acrylic gloss lacquer
3 - Black glaze (mottled)
4 - Flyspecking
5 - Acrylic gloss lacquer

That's a snazzy picture! Is the frame made from metal or wood? If it's wood, it sure is some fine detail. That finish looks splendid.

Thank you. The frame was scrolled from Baltic beech plywood. It is a John Nelson pattern.