Site Cutting and Mitering Postform Countertops

Handling these tricky miter cuts on site when the fabricating shop went out of business in mid-job proved less than fully satisfactory. July 16, 2012

Question
I have a customer whose house is a good distance into the country who has bought 5 pieces of post form top for her kitchen. I need to fit these tops tomorrow for their final inspection on Tuesday. My post form supplier no longer will cut someone else's tops, and I don't have time to drive them 4 hours round trip to get them there and back anyhow. Any suggestions on how to cut these post form tops on site without massive chipping, and getting accurate miters? My only guess right now is using my jigsaw with laminate blades and a good guide, then routing the dogbones under the tops.

(Laminate and Solid Surface Forum)
Don't do what you describe. I would find another shop locally to cut the miters. If you have to, flip the top upside down, rough cut the miter and finish with a straight edge and router. Cope the backsplashes together.

Thanks. That would work, and be a lot easier. Will give it a shot.

How is this your problem? This is like a customer taking a steak into a steakhouse and expecting them to cook it for them at a discount. I just tell them to get the company that sold her the tops to make the cuts or return them and buy from someone that will. Don't let cheapskate customers push problems onto your plate.

How does the questioner helping his customer with a countertop situation make the customer a cheapskate? If he can help his customer with a problem situation, and make a profit in doing so, that is part of being in business. Most of my customers run into all sorts of problems with building their homes, and not always because they are being cheap. After all, they are not professional home builders. Hell, actually half the problems I see are where the so called professionals left them hanging with a situation that never should have occurred in the first place. I get a lot of extra profitable work from helping the homeowners whenever I can.

Thanks for the support. Just an update… I did cut the tops on site, with the customer present and helping me. I am not pleased with the final results, but she is okay with it. I am, without asking her, getting pricing for a new counter in the same pattern. Two pieces will work fine for the area they are in. The other four pieces that form the 'U' shape are not working for me. She is a great customer who has already ordered an additional 3K worth of work, and has forwarded my info onto her daughter and another friend for more business opportunity.