Small-Shop Sliding Saws

A short-stroke sliding table saw or a panel saw might help solve this cabinetmaker's space problem. May 10, 2005

I just laid off my employee. I'm doing the one man thing and am moving into a much smaller shop. I'm currently using a 10' slider and a Unisaw in my shop, though fitting both saws into the new space will be very tight. There are a bunch of 4' and 5' sliders around that have scoring and dado capacity, and I'm wondering if using one of these, I could get away with having only one saw.

If I take off the crosscut fence to do some ripping, is it asking too much to think it would be square when I put it back on? Is anyone else running a system like this, or does everyone have multiple saws?

I sold my Unisaw when I got my Altendorf. There are many times that I wish I had a smaller tablesaw. Why not put a 25 - 30" fence on it, put it on a mobile base, and wheel it out when you need it? I am not convinced that the smaller ones are as accurate as the full-sized ones. And there are many options that are available for the cabinet saw, as opposed to a slider.

Have you considered a vertical panel saw? I too am in a smaller shop, and went from a 10' slider to a Striebig vertical, and could not be happier with the choice. I build residential cabinets, so my main thing is cutting plywood panels for cabinet parts. I also process hardwood lumber for my cabinet doors on it. The saw takes up very little space, is very accurate, faster than a slider or tablesaw, and one heck of a lot safer. I regularly cut 70 plus sheets a day on it for stocked parts like cabinet ends, partitions, bottoms, and shelving. Unless you plan to cut a lot of different angles on parts, the vertical wins hands down. I do all of my dadoing on a Hersaf panel router. For what I paid for it, I can't tear down a tablesaw, install and adjust a dado, then have to put a saw blade back on, and hope I didn't forget to dado a part in the next fifteen minutes. I would just evaluate the parts you need to process, and explore your other options.

We frequently remove and replace the crosscut fence on our Felder. It has always gone on square for us.

I have been using an old SCM Mini-Max S250 with a 59" slider that I have to put a fence on for angle cuts. I use a fence for all other cuts. I have used this saw for nearly 10 years with no problems and I am a frameless shop where accurate cuts are a must. You can find them for around $2000 on used equipment sites.