Solid Surface for Cabinet Doors

Combining wood with solid-surface material raises risk related to movement caused by moisture or temperature changes. June 30, 2009

Question
I am a cabinetmaker, but not a solid surface fabricator, and have been given the role of coordinating some cabinetry that integrates the two trades as more than just countertops. Specifically, cabinet doors that are supposed to be solid surface laminated to a wood panel (BBirch, VC, MDF, or PC). I have a grave concern for unbalanced construction. Is this legitimate? My fabricator doesn't seem to care/understand.

(Laminate and Solid Surfacing Forum)
I certainly wouldn't laminate solid surface over substrate. I am new to solid surface as well but my understanding is that all solid surface would be no problem, maybe with battens of solid surface if the doors are wide, but laminating the solid surface to another material is a big no-no.

Doing this is worse than joining dissimilar woods. Solid surface expands and contracts with temperature and wood with heat. So even if you are using a flexible adhesive like 100% silicone there will be much shifting. If you use a strong adhesive there could be breakage. Do not fear, you can use all solid surface. Mound the hardware with Heli-Coils and machine screws. If a little wood is to show, you can apply some wood trim in such a way as to allow for movement.

Thank you both for the info. I feel better equipped to inform the designer, and re-engineer.