Space Between Cabinet Doors

Cabinetmakers weigh in on the proper gap between doors. November 11, 2005

Question
When making a cabinet that has two doors without a center post between them, how much space should there be - 1/32, 1/16, 1/4"? How much of an air gap should there be? Is there a standard?

Inset doors get 1/16" all the way around and in between. They also get a chamfer for clearance. Overlay doors get 1/16" - 1/8" between depending on the edge profile (some look better closer together and some look better further apart) and whether there is a stile attached to the back of the left door or not. If it's just a gap, go with 1/16" and adjust if needed.

Solid wood doors typically get 3/32" all around and between doors unless they are excessively wide, and then 1/8". With plywood, MDF, etc. you could possibly get away with a 1/16", but maybe not with the swing. The doors might get jammed.

The standard is 3/32".

I use 3mm between the pair of doors you described (Frameless cabinetry with full overlay, 1.5mm reveal).

I've made pieces where closing the doors good and hard would open the mostly empty drawers. I guess a bigger gap was needed, but I thought it was kind of cool.

3/32" is standard.

I put a fake stile on the back side of one of the doors, because I build face frame cabinets, and that way they match the rest of the job. I only do this on sink bases to allow for easy access.