Sprayed-On No-Wipe Glaze Application

Touch-up type sprayguns with small spray patterns let you apply glaze just to cracks and crevices, avoiding the need to wipe glaze off. December 30, 2007

I am looking for the fastest and easiest way to apply glaze to cabinet doors and moldings (just leaving it in the recesses). I've heard of a spray gun that applies the glaze and requires no wiping. Can anyone help?

No wiping?! How in the heck do they do that? I use a Sherwin Williams powder glaze. It's essentially glaze suspended in acetone - I spray it on, the acetone flashes off, I wipe away the powder until I'm happy, and then topcoat it.

You can use ML Campbell Amazing Glaze. You still need to wipe it to get your desired look. You can turn your spray pattern way down so you can direct the glaze exactly where you want it, so there isn't so much wiping. I like the Amazing Glaze because I don't have to use a vinyl sealer before and after, I can just topcoat. You should use a post-cat because it will cut into pre-cat. Magnamax works but you need 24 hours before you glaze, otherwise the glaze is too hard to remove.

I have had good experience with ML Campbell's Amazing Glaze. You basically put it in a touch up gun, or whatever you have, dust it on, let it flash, then scuff it off with a scotch brite pad... Dries so quick you can topcoat almost immediately. You get hang up in the corners, recesses, etc. There is an Amazing Glaze 3 out which is used for pre-cat lacquers. It doesn't bite quite as much, so there isn't the need to use post catalyzed material. I don't think all of the distributors have it, but you could check.

I use a regular touchup gun for fast drying spray glaze and if I'm just shading the recesses, I don't do any scuffing/rubbing.

If you use Campbell's Amazing Glaze pre-mixed from your supplier, reduce it 50% with the clear base before using it as a spray only glaze. Otherwise the pigment load is too heavy and will be too opaque as well as flaky.

Although Campbell doesn't recommend using it with lacquer or pre-cat lacquer, it works fine as long as you don't flood it on with a hose. I like to use it over vinyl sealer in a pre-cat lacquer system because it does get a bite into the finish.

If you want to apply an oil based glaze, then you are looking for an external mix spray gun with a round fan pattern. Sata, CA Technology, Paasche and others make them. With these guns you apply the glaze only in the cracks and crevices, thus no wiping. The tip size determines the width of the stripe.