Spraying Solid Color Deck Stain with a Pressure Pot Setup

Quick advice on spraying latex stain with simple equipment. January 24, 2014

Question (WOODWEB Member)

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Categories

I'm looking for suggestions as to a pressure pot, gun and hoses. I have a possible job that would involve spraying around 60 gallons of solid color deck stain, latex.

I'm a fairly recent devotee of the pot/gun set-up and I like the simplicity of it. It's a great way to spray finishes in the shop of it but it is not the best way to spray latex. Airless is the fastest and least expensive way to do it. You can easily rent one for the time it will take to do the job. The only downside I can see to the airless when compared to an HVLP gun/pot set-up is the amount of overspray, but even that is something that can be dealt with easily.

If you’re set on the gun/pot setup I've had great, problem free experiences with Binks/Devilbiss (I own three of them). Quality materials and workmanship make them the standard other brands are compared to. Just one more thing - I assume you'll be doing this in the shop as it will take a lot of air to pump and atomize 60 gallons of latex through a pot/gun.

Are you sure you want to use a solid color latex deck stain? As a painter, solid color is something I never want to see on decks. Adding latex to description is even worse. I would strongly recommend reconsidering.

Graco Airless is the way to go but you will need lots of masking film/paper to cover what is not to be painted, and you should use a tip extension for control and maneuverability. Practice first! A pressure pot with hoses is cumbersome and you would need a huge compressor to shoot latex with any conventional gun.

From the original questioner

I should have given more details. We would be spraying in the shop and it is 800 items we’re bidding. About all I can say is they are made of construction pine and 1/2" CDX plywood. The engineer spec’d solid color deck stain. They will be inside however. Right now I'm looking at renting a large airless.

You really don't need a large pump. Around a 1/2 gallon a minute will work fine (standard rental size, Graco 390 or Titan 440). To keep the over-spray down to a minimum use a smaller tip. A NEW 513 or a 515 will work with the pressure set just at the point of good atomization and not all the way up.