Stickers for stacking

Does species matter when choosing stickers to use in your stacks of drying wood? July 24, 2001

Question
I'm getting ready to shed dry a small amount of red oak (300 board feet). Can I use kiln dry white pine for stickers?

Yes. The species doesn't matter much. Just be sure the stickers are not too dry. Dampen them if necessary to prevent sticker checking.

I am looking to stack walnut, red/white oak, some maple, and lots of poplar. Can I utilize deadwood (exterior slightly decayed but the core mostly dry) oak for slicing stickers and use them on all these types without staining?

There have been many studies about sticker species and solid wood stickers of any species are basically the same, except some species are stronger so you get longer life.

Gene Wengert, forum technical advisor