Stocking a Furniture Touch-Up Kit

      Here's a nice look at what you might want in your starter kit for furniture touch-up and finish repair. July 14, 2010

I am looking into buying a kit for furniture repair. It will be used to repair scratches and dings in cabinetry and new furniture that arrives damaged. I know that Mohawk makes one, are there others who offer similar kits? Also, what would be a good set of items to initially stock it with?

Forum Responses
(Finishing Forum)
From contributor D:
These are most of the companies:

Masters Magic
TouchUp Solutions

Behlen is a cousin of Mohawk and they have too limited an assortment of colors or materials for me to whoop it up. A touch up kit for your needs should include burn in sticks, both low sheen (Mohawk calls these PlaneSticks) and regular burn in sticks. Konig's sticks are different types of wax, some soft and some very hard.

You also need a method of burning in these sticks: butane-based burn in knives, plug in burn in knives, and last, knives which you heat by torch or burn in stove. You need some sandpapers to level the burn ins (Konig burn ins are leveled by a special cabinet scraper that's bendable and only touches/shaves the fill and not any surrounding area). The sandpapers can be lubricated with anything including water, saliva, paint thinner, and naptha. I prefer a wax-off cleaner to lubricate. You need cloth or rags. There is nothing as good as Mohawk's proprietary trace cloth.

You need to be able to spot seal your burn in. I prefer to use aerosol vinyl sealer. Mohawk calls their VS "precat sealer" and sadly and stupidly doesn't label the aerosol as what it is. You also need epoxy sticks. These are also called "TootsieRoll epoxy". They are two part fillers all-in-one. A polyester filler is also useful (Bondo). Get a clear polyester filler from a granite/marble supply house.

Then there's color replacement. Mohawk's Blendal Stick is beeswax based coloring medium that requires topcoating. It has unique abilities to blend in and hide color defects. The secret to its success is that the color is smeared. If you can replicate smearing with a brush and colored finishes I salute you because as long as I've been using Blendal powders (pigments that you mix in a finish for in-painting) I can't make them look smeared.

You still need powdered pigments (for in-painting) and sabel artist brushes. Your finish medium can be lacquer, padding lacquer, shellac, waterbase (difficult to predict final color until you develop lots of experience and go by memory of the dried result and not wet product about to be applied).

You need graining pens. These are fine line markers. You also need touch up markers. Both pigmented and dye-based markers are helpful to have. Gone are the days of Mohawk's CM-1 markers, but I think that Masters Magic still has pigmented markers. Mohawk's ProMark are dye based which don't always help on a raw edge.

There's so much more. I'll sum up with what you need to do is get catalogs from the companies I listed. Read those catalogs. Look at each individual offering and think long and hard if you might need the product, for what and if the product will make your life more fun. I've used them all. What works for me might not be as profitable for you. That's why you have to do your own assessments and evaluations.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing: Refinishing

  • KnowledgeBase: Furniture

  • KnowledgeBase: Furniture: Furniture Repairs

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2019 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article