Subtops Under Solid Surface Countertops

Solid surface is not installed over a subtop, but over (at most) widely spaced mounting strips (and let the installer worry about those). September 26, 2006

Question
I'm a one man custom cabinet shop that offers subtop with our cabinets. In our 2 years of existence, we have yet to have someone install a solid surface top on our cabinets, until now. Does solid surface require a sub-top? Does it depend on the type? If it does, what do you recommend (type of material and thickness)?

(Laminate and Solid Surfacing Forum)
Corian more than discourages the use of any substrate under 1/2" or 3/4" material and does not allow 1/4" to be used for tops. The reasons for this are several. First, it does not need it. Corian is strong enough. Second, Corian expands and contracts with heat; wood with humidity. The movement may be small, but the forces can be great. Third, a substrate would trap localized heat, say from a hot pot, increasing the possibility of failure. A cross support every 20 to 24 inches is all that is required.

Thank you for your help. I guess I need to know also if we need to build up. We build a euro box with only a 1/8" reveal at the top. Is most Corian a slab material or does it have a lipped self edge?

Contributor K, this is not a challenge, but a sincere question. I thought that I'd seen Corian used in bath/shower installations. How do those survive?

You can machine it to whatever configuration you wish. I am not familiar with the edge treatment to which you refer.

Most shower/tub surrounds are 1/4" material applied to drywall or other backer. The expansion is covered with expansion joints. (A silicone batten joint.) Hot pot pressed against the wall is a rare occasion!

Avonite *used* to insist on substrate strips, but have backed off in the past year. I put 1 1/2" wide strips of 1/2" MDF in front, back and middle under 1/2" SS with 1.5' built up edge, mostly just for preferred overhang. Lately I'm selling 3/4" Mystera a lot - no substrate, no build-ups - just cut, route and polish. Most shops around here aren't using substrate at all on any SS products.

I would have the surface supplier supply his own substrate and take care of his top finished. I make cabinets and do SS and would not want a sub top in place. I have power seams under the tops where required and the sub top would just get in the way, plus I will allow for my own edge treatment, not try and meet something someone else set up.

Contributor K is correct. Your best course is to furnish your cabinets and install them level. Let the countertop installer worry about everything else above your cabinets. When I install 1/2" thick solid surface countertops on kitchen cabinets that are about 34-1/2" high, I use two layers of 1/2" thick plywood strips cut 2" wide, which are concealed by the 1-1/2" thick front edge of the countertop. I leave off the second layer of plywood in the area of any deck seams, and instead bond a second layer of solid surface material as a reinforcement below the seam. The result is a stable but open support structure that dissipates excess heat far better than a solid subtop. Finish countertop height ends up at the industry standard of 36". Face frame cabinets that are a little higher may require just one layer of 1/2" plywood strips, but the principle is the same.