Suitable Gun for "Detail" Glazing?

      Trying to find the best applicator for "pinstripe" glazing work. January 19, 2012

I am looking for a detail gun to apply pinstripe glazing. CATechnologies has one for about $265, but I am looking for one a little less expensive if possible. Any advice regarding use/alternative brand/price would be appreciated.

Forum Responses
(Finishing Forum)
From contributor R:
Paasche has a product called a glazing pencil. Costs $63.

From contributor A:
I bought one of the CAT guns a year ago or so. It is the same gun body you can buy from Grizzly, Harbor Freight or any other Asian gun importer for under 20 dollars with the added tips. Mine lasted about 3 months and then I bought one of the Grizzly guns and just transferred the tips to it. The price of the gun does not equal the quality.

From the original questioner:
Thanks for the responses. Contributor R, have you used that glazing pencil before and if so, with what tip? I see they have tips up to 1/16th. I'm wondering if that is big enough. Also, can you use a traditional heavy-bodied glaze or do you use a break-away type glaze (Amazing Glaze)? Thanks. I have a huge kitchen to do and just can't stand the thought of doing all those doors the way I normally do.

From contributor B:
AOM has one too. Used to run about $180ish and is a very well made gun.

From contributor R:
Breakaway glazes are too thin to be used with this device. Use a traditional glaze. I have gotten the best results with the smallest tip, which I think is 1/16". Give a little hand wipe after application of the glaze so that it doesn't look like you used a magic marker. On the positive side, they can save you a lot of time.

From contributor T:
How does that gun work? Is it a pump on one end to keep the glaze moving?

From contributor J:
I have the Paasche flow pencil and it works well once you get your viscosity right. It's not that great for large jobs though - lots of refilling.

From contributor I:
How about a plastic squeeze bottle?

From contributor O:
Have you tried that? Just curious as I was considering at least trying a large hypodermic syringe (veterinarian size). Can't hurt to try.

From contributor J:
I have tried both squeeze bottles and syringes and they do not have the control of the flow pencil.

From contributor M:
I just use a simple cheap gravity gun to spray the glaze on all crevices. I use the blue Walmart shop towels to wipe it all over the door and then a clean one to wipe it all off, leaving it in the cracks.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing: General Wood Finishing

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2017 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article