Suitable Gun for "Detail" Glazing?

Trying to find the best applicator for "pinstripe" glazing work. January 19, 2012

I am looking for a detail gun to apply pinstripe glazing. CATechnologies has one for about $265, but I am looking for one a little less expensive if possible. Any advice regarding use/alternative brand/price would be appreciated.

Paasche has a product called a glazing pencil. Costs $63.

I bought one of the CAT guns a year ago or so. It is the same gun body you can buy from Grizzly, Harbor Freight or any other Asian gun importer for under 20 dollars with the added tips. Mine lasted about 3 months and then I bought one of the Grizzly guns and just transferred the tips to it. The price of the gun does not equal the quality.

Thanks for the responses. Contributor R, have you used that glazing pencil before and if so, with what tip? I see they have tips up to 1/16th. I'm wondering if that is big enough. Also, can you use a traditional heavy-bodied glaze or do you use a break-away type glaze (Amazing Glaze)? Thanks. I have a huge kitchen to do and just can't stand the thought of doing all those doors the way I normally do.

AOM has one too. Used to run about $180ish and is a very well made gun.

Breakaway glazes are too thin to be used with this device. Use a traditional glaze. I have gotten the best results with the smallest tip, which I think is 1/16". Give a little hand wipe after application of the glaze so that it doesn't look like you used a magic marker. On the positive side, they can save you a lot of time.

How does that gun work? Is it a pump on one end to keep the glaze moving?

I have the Paasche flow pencil and it works well once you get your viscosity right. It's not that great for large jobs though - lots of refilling.

How about a plastic squeeze bottle?

Have you tried that? Just curious as I was considering at least trying a large hypodermic syringe (veterinarian size). Can't hurt to try.

I have tried both squeeze bottles and syringes and they do not have the control of the flow pencil.

I just use a simple cheap gravity gun to spray the glaze on all crevices. I use the blue Walmart shop towels to wipe it all over the door and then a clean one to wipe it all off, leaving it in the cracks.