Supporting Solid Surface Counter Overhangs

Quick ideas for stiffening solid surface cantilevers. March 14, 2006

Question
I am doing acrylic countertops and the overhang on the top is 10". It can be seen from below. The material is 1/2" and I want the top to be 1-1/2" thick. Should I laminate three layers thick for the overhang? What other considerations should I be concerned with for this overhang - i.e., strength?

(Laminate and Solid Surfacing Forum)
We stock 15/16" board to support snack bar overhangs. We also embed 1/4" x 1" flat steel (sideways) when strength is an issue. We recently sandwiched 1/2" x 1" flat steel between two layers of Corian because the owner wanted the bottom to look the same as the top.

I have a local welder fabricate steel frames for overhang support, usually 3/4" x 3/4" or 1" x 1" tube steel. Corners are either mitered or plugged to prevent little fingers from getting stuck. Deburr, clean, prime and paint. The frame is visible from underneath but looks very professional.