Supporting the Dust Collection Hose for a CNC Router

Here are some proven solutions (with photos) for supporting the dust collection ducting for a CNC router, while allowing the hose to move freely. December 29, 2008

Question
We have a Multicam 5000 series, and love it. We have a 5x12 bed, and a ball swivel joint in our dust collection system directly center and about 8ft high from the spoilboard. Does anyone have a way to keep the flex hose totally unknotted and free from the gantry/spindle?

I have 2 metal beams overhead where I suspend the extraction from on a steel cable stretched between them. The furthest corner of travel of the CNC head is 5m from the fixed part of the extraction so I used 6m of flexi hose. It looks slack when the extraction is turned off but works really well when the extraction compresses the flexi between the head and the fixed portion. I used a piece of webbing and a U bolt to suspend the hose from the steel cable.

I have about 20 ft ceilings and run the hose towards the middle on the table. No swivel joint. Enough hose to leave a little slack and we use a bungee cord to keep the slack up out of the way. 5 years and it still works.

I use a piece of 1/2" conduit held off the ceiling by about 1" with a couple blocks. A 3/4" PVC coupling slides back and forth along the conduit. My 4" dust hose is connected to the coupling. A bit of experimentation for connection points is all it takes to get a trouble-free setup. Bungee cords complete the system.

As to setup, make the connection point to the coupling such that there is just enough hose between the coupling and your spindle head assembly to reach the furthermost point of travel.

This setup works really well. It has been used for the last 8 months with no kinking ducts. We have a 10 x 5 table.

Whose router is that? Looks a bit like a CNT Motion. Very nice idea on the pivot arm! Wish I'd thought of that one!

It is a Shopbot PRS Alpha with two spindles.

Working on fabricating this one for the new shop.

I am using a similar system to contributor P on my Busellato. I purchased a track system from McMaster Carr which is something that would be used on a sailboat, so it is strong and moves freely.

The track is anodized aluminum, and the roller trolley uses ball bearings - very smooth. I used the 550 lb cap. I have a bungee cord which goes around the hose, and it stays out of the way of the machine. I tried other track systems and they were not as smooth as this one - it is not cheap, but it is well made. Do a search for page 2848 on McMaster.com. Item is 9484T41.

One thing to consider is the more flexible pipe you have, the more it reduces the efficiency of the extractor by slowing the air velocity.