Table Wax Choices

Woodworkers discuss products they use to keep their table surfaces friction-free. March 16, 2015

Question
We used to use BostiK top coat and it is expensive but it works. Now there is a new and improved Bostik table wax and it does not work as well. It wears off quickly - too quickly. Does anyone have an alternative?

Johnson & Johnson paste wax works well.

From Contributor H

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Project Gallery Shop Built Equipment Gallery Categories

I've always used Butcher's Bowling Alley wax.

We used butchers wax for years and loved it. To speed things up I filled a couple spray bottles with Waxi lit moulder table lubricant and keep those on our planer and jointer. You don't have to shut down to re-wax. Another thing that works well is Pledge furniture spray. Spray it on at the end of the day and when you come in the next day you will like how slick your tables are.

I ordered some Butchers wax as mentioned above.

From Contributor R:
Pledge may not be the best idea as I'm virtually sure it contains silicone. When the finishers figure out why they can't get anything to stick to your products it wouldn't be worth it. I've had good luck with Johnsons, I've also heard that talc (not cornstarch based baby powder, but the real stuff) dusted over cast iron makes is slick as well.

I just figured it was a roughing out process. I wouldn't think anything sliding over a paste wax surface would go right to finishing either.