Tablesaw Lubricating Advice

Tips on lubricating a sticky mechanism for raising and lowering the blade on a cabinet shop table saw. April 18, 2010

Question
The blade on my Powermatic 66 is awfully hard to raise. I've tried lots of different lubes on the gears over the years, but nothing works very well. Any ideas?

It's probably not the gear; try lubing the pivot. The gear's lube is good for awhile but wears off. If relubing the gear isn't fixing it, then it has to be the pivot that is dry. The pivot may be a yoke which means there are two areas that need to be lubed.

Also use spray lube on any bushings where the raise/lower and tilt mechanism shafts go through.

I'm going to wager a guess that it's in the design. We have one here and I've seen a few older Powermatics that all suffered from the same problem. Spraying Liquid Wrench helps, but it may be inherently difficult to lift the heavy left tilt arbor mechanism with the worm drive geared too high.

I agree that the problem is not the gears but in the bronze bushings on the pivots and the shaft of the crank handle. Oil is drawn into tight areas via capillary action. If the machine is of high quality, there is no space for any oil between the shaft and bushing, and oiling it will only provide short-term benefit.

I've also seen fine sawdust packed tightly between a shaft and a bushing. Bronze bushings should not be lubricated, and should not need to be lubricated. I suspect you need to disassemble the mechanism and clean the bushings and shafts. If any bushings show signs of slop or wear, replace them.

There are no bronze bushings on a PM66, according to the parts diagram for a 1995 model. The steel shafts go through holes bored in cast iron assemblies.

If you grease and lube all areas where there are moving parts on the raise/lower and tilt mechanism, especially the shafts, it should solve your problem (it always does for me). Do not disassemble anything without trying this first. I usually get 6-12 months out of a lube job, but this depends upon usage.

I just did a full lube job on mine this morning and it took about 15 minutes. You will have to remove the motor cover to access all the areas that need attention. Some are easier to reach if you tilt the arbor, and a flashlight is invaluable. Move the blade up and down and side to side several times to distribute the lubricant throughout the contact areas, and you should be back to new in no time.

What kind of grease did you use?

I use white lithium from a tube, which makes applying it easy, but I really donít think the type of grease is very important. We're not talking about high heat or heavy usage on table saw trunnion and gear assemblies. If I didnít have the white lithium I would just use the grease from my edgebander or automotive grease, but applying it would be a little more difficult. The spray lubricant that I use on the shafts is Boeshield T-9, but again, I think that any good quality spray lubricant would work just as well.

Thought I'd share something pretty off the wall. I poked around under the saw with a flashlight and realized the gears were really gummed up with crud. I found a can of 3M Citrus cleaner, sprayed the heck out of the gears, ran the arbor up and down, sprayed some more. So far, it seems to be working quite well with no lube at all. Now every time I fire up the dust collector, it smells like oranges in the shop.

I have maintained a shop full of Powermatic equipment for 32 years and have learned this: steel shafts in cast iron holes wear the cast iron away into a very abrasive powder that eats the mating parts at an ever increasing rate. The best solution I know of is to remove the shafts, flush and scrub the holes with solvent, dry and grease with the thickest type you can find. My can of auto distributor cam grease is just about gone and I am having trouble finding more.