Target brand finishes

Making the switch to water-based finishes and finding the appropriate stains to use with them. January 16, 2001

Question
What do you folks think about the Target water-based products? I would like to get away from the bad smell and danger of the solvent materials. What kind of stains are acceptable with the water based materials?

The Oxford Premium Spray Lacquer (1000 Series) will give you CAB-type lacquer performance with quick-drying features and 1005 burn-in.

I'm using the Oxford premium spray lacquer (PSL) in my shop and have been very pleased with it. I've used other brands including Crystalac and Sherwin Williams Chem-Aqua but the burn-in between coats that the PSL has is a real advantage, not to mention Iíve had far less problems with grain raising. The product rubs out very nicely with no witness lines. As long as the spray gun is set up right, I can spray oak and get grain fill similar to nitrocellulose lacquer.

I use the Oxford over a variety of stains including slow curing oil-based wiping stains. The major concern is to make sure that the stain is completely cured before applying the topcoats. I haven't had any problems with adhesion.

I've used their finishes (Oxford hybrid polyurethane varnish) for about two years and have been very pleased. The only problem I have had is that some cherry doesn't look good when sprayed with the varnish without first applying a 1 lb. cut of blonde shellac to the wood.

Since the water-based finishes have a higher solids content, when working with open grained woods you may want to use a grain filler or thin out the first coat or two of the topcoat to ensure that the grain fills nicely.