Thinner for Wood Filler

Advice on storing, reconstituting, or thinning solvent-based wood fillers. August 8, 2008

Question
For those that use Famo-wood filler, what can I mix with it to get a thinner consistency? They recommend Famo solvent, but I don't have any and don't have time to wait for an order to come in.

I have always used acetone or lacquer thinner. Acetone makes it dry really fast, though.

Try lacquer retarder - thins it down but doesn't dry so fast.

One great trick I learned was to store the can upside down. All the goop drops and totally seals out any air encroachment. I have cans last two years doing that.

I use lacquer thinner and it works fine.

I've been using lacquer thinner for years. I will give the retarder trick a try, though.

I never thought about storing them upside down. It seems like I get a rare red oak or cherry kitchen to do, and when I open my well-maintained cans (so I thought), I find them as hard as a rock, so I toss them and get some new ones. This little trick is going to cost Famowood some future sales.

Never throw them away! The filler can always be re-constituted. Just add back solvent, let sit overnight, and mix. That is what the solvent is for.

I know that, but when you find one that's a year old and is a now a rock, it's almost more trouble than it's worth unless it's only gotten dry. Does this make sense? The solvent is dangerous to work with, so I prefer to putty quick and move on, without breathing the stuff. Often I use their water based stuff, which works very well in the dry months.

One of those acetone solvent based wood fillers used to put the label on upside down, so you would store it upside down.

I have used lacquer thinner and acetone, and both of these work okay. However, about 10 years ago I found that MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) had the best long-term results. It is available at Lowe's and probably most hardware stores.