Tinting Your Own Black Epoxy

Advice on adding colorants to epoxy. October 27, 2008

I live in Long Island, New York. Where can I purchase black epoxy?

I have been making black epoxy for years. I use the System 3 tint base. You can order directly from System 3 or you can order from places like Woodcraft. Stuff works great and a little goes a long way. I mix it up by the gallon. I once found a supplier in Ft. Worth TX for the black epoxy but price was way too high compared to clear, so I just continued making my own. You may be able to order pre-colored epoxy from System 3 as well.

On Long Island you should have no problem getting black epoxy resin. Go to any marine supply/hardware store. West Marine or Boaters World should be nearby. They will sell small tubes of epoxy colorant (black/white/blue/red). If they carry the West System line of epoxy products, they may have powdered graphite. I use the graphite. The little can will be gifted to your great, great, great, great, grandson if he keeps up the family business.