Touch-Up Sanding of Shiny Spots in Lacquer

Advice on using abrasives to even out the sheen of finished wood. April 18, 2015

I recently touched up some pre-finished crown (Target 6500 WB Lacquer) and have some shiny spots. Instead of spraying the whole crown (on site) can I rub it all down do an even sheen? If so, with what?

Any abrasive will work, but I don't like real steel wool on water based. I prefer Abralon.

I agree with the above post. Never use steel wool on a waterborne finish. You'll get rust spots if you have to recoat. I would use either wet/dry sandpaper with soapy water or a very fine synthetic abrasive pad.

What grit of Abralon - 1000, 6000?

If itís typical crown (with contours and details) I would lean toward synthetic abrasive pads. It would be tough to get into those small groves with abralon. Try a Scotch-Brite.

Any particular type of Scotch-Brite?

kevin
It depends on the sheen you want. To achieve a dull finish I use the maroon.

Would you know what grit that equates to?

From Contributor R:
The maroon is coarser than the grey as well as the white ones. Pick up one or two and see what you think.

Further sheen adjustments can be achieved by using rubbing compound along with the nylon pad. Rough, medium and fine compounds can be tried, along with paste wax.

From Contributor S:
If all it is is crown molding then why can't you do a quick scuff to create a scratch pattern and rag on some of the Target topcoat in the sheen that you want? Use their additive to turn the material into one that lends itself to brushing and ragging.