Touch-Up Sanding of Shiny Spots in Lacquer

      Advice on using abrasives to even out the sheen of finished wood. April 18, 2015

Question (WOODWEB Member) :
I recently touched up some pre-finished crown (Target 6500 WB Lacquer) and have some shiny spots. Instead of spraying the whole crown (on site) can I rub it all down do an even sheen? If so, with what?

Forum Responses
(Finishing Forum)
From contributor C:
Any abrasive will work, but I don't like real steel wool on water based. I prefer Abralon.

From contributor G:
I agree with the above post. Never use steel wool on a waterborne finish. You'll get rust spots if you have to recoat. I would use either wet/dry sandpaper with soapy water or a very fine synthetic abrasive pad.

From the original questioner:
What grit of Abralon - 1000, 6000?

From contributor K:
If itís typical crown (with contours and details) I would lean toward synthetic abrasive pads. It would be tough to get into those small groves with abralon. Try a Scotch-Brite.

From the original questioner:
Any particular type of Scotch-Brite?

From contributor K:
It depends on the sheen you want. To achieve a dull finish I use the maroon.

From the original questioner:
Would you know what grit that equates to?

From Contributor R:
The maroon is coarser than the grey as well as the white ones. Pick up one or two and see what you think.

From contributor A:
Further sheen adjustments can be achieved by using rubbing compound along with the nylon pad. Rough, medium and fine compounds can be tried, along with paste wax.

From Contributor S:
If all it is is crown molding then why can't you do a quick scuff to create a scratch pattern and rag on some of the Target topcoat in the sheen that you want? Use their additive to turn the material into one that lends itself to brushing and ragging.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing: General Wood Finishing

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2019 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article