Troubleshooting Fray in the Cut

Advice on bit choices to eliminate fraying in the cut on a CNC. August 16, 2012

Question
I'm using a new plywood (at customerís request ). Itís a 19 mm c2 prefin both sides with 7 lams. Three-four are fir and the others are definitely not poplar. I've tried different feeds and speeds on about five sheets and I cannot get it to cut clean. I am encountering rough edges even with two passes around the exterior. Has anyone ever had this problem? Iím using carbide compression and downshear.

Reverse the direction of the travel of the router bit.

Have you tried doing a first pass in a climb direction while offsetting the bit 1/32", and then following with a conventional pass to final size? If not, see if that will help.

Before going too crazy, how many flutes is your bit and are you on a spoilboard or pods? I have run into a lot of similar issues at times, but nearly always have solved them with a very sharp bit run at the proper feeds and speeds.

I know that spirals are generally better and can cut faster, but the simple fact is that straight cutters leave a far cleaner edge than spirals. Try switching to a straight bit.

You need to use a 3+3 ruffer/finisher. That eliminates all fraying. The chipbreakers break up the chips quicker. Feed speeds vs. rpm's are provided so the chips will be evacuated and not re-cut.