Troubleshooting Swirl Marks from CNC Bit

Pros suggest several flaws that could be causing swirl marks created by a tool tip in flat areas. March 6, 2006

I have a Techno-Isel CNC router and I cut patterns in wood and ren board. When I cut flat areas, I get swirled tool marks. Not sure where to begin to determine the problem. Vibration? Spindle and/or table need leveling? Fixturing? Any advice will be appreciated.

Could you be a bit more specific? What type of spindle (Porter-Cable, Perske, etc.), tooling, feeds, speeds, fixturing, etc?

1. RPM is too slow for the feed rate.
2. The tips of the tool are different heights.
3. One tip of the tool is damaged.

Try the Onsrude 66-300 series. They are made for bottom surfacing applications. They are up-spirals with the tips rounded off. I've had good experience with them.

Check to see that your spindle is square. If the head assembly is not square, the tool will cut with one edge/tip and leave swirl marks. To check squareness/spindle sweep, mount a dial indicator to the spindle so it will swing about a 24" diameter circle, bring the indicator down to the table and slowly spin the indicator 360 degrees; you should not see much more than .002 total. More than that and you probably need the head squared up.

I am assuming the swirl marks are on the bottom of the cut. It could be from a variety of things. Bottom clearance or lack of on the tool. Too fast rpm's. Chips are being recut. And like the other gentlemen mentioned, spindle can be off.