Troubleshooting a Bumpy Finish with Post-Cat Lacquer

Small surface bumps might be the result of solvent pop. January 24, 2014

Question
I made a switch from pre-cat to post-cat lacquer. This is the first time using it and I am getting nothing but little bumps in the surface. It almost looks like dust but I think it may be air bubbles. Iíve tried everything to get rid of it but nothing is working. What is causing this problem?

From contributor X:
Usually too much air pressure is the cause. I would try that before you start adding retarders and flow enhancers.

I have slowed the air flow and received the same results. I tried using retarder and it only helped slightly. The finished surface is not acceptable and feels like sand paper. Can the catalyst cause this problem?

This is what it looks like.

I'm not familiar with Becker products so I can only comment in general terms. Most of the time when I see this in post-cat products it's from bits of material left on the surface from the scuff sanding process, stuff that may normally melt in with a pre-cat does not re dissolve with a post cat. The good news is that most post-cats almost always look better the next day after they are dried down.

The finish looks fine but the sand paper texture is real bad. If this is the problem what is the solution to cleaning the parts for the next coat? If I can't sort this out soon I am going to switch back to pre-cat. This has already cost me a ton of time and money.

I never liked Matador. I did eventually get it to laydown perfectly but it was too much work. I am sure you have adjusted the air and did everything you thought would help. The bigger the tip the better I have found. I went from a 1,4 to a 1,6 (SATA) and that worked better. Using retarder helped some as well.

I think it was mainly developed to be used with an AAA set up. Specifically Kremlin, because I saw sprayers getting excellent results in a production environment, super clean, air make up system, oven etc. Sorry that I could not give you a concrete answer to your problem. I use MLC Stealth exclusively now because of said issues.

I just got done with another round. It got a little better but itís still present. I found less thinner is better. At this point I think I am going to knock the bumps down with some 600 and clear over it with some Uni lac 15. I am going back to the pre-cat after this. This product is just not for me.

From contributor X:
I would just try a different product. CV's are just as easy to spray as pre-cats. I think you just got a bad product.

What equipment are you using? What are your settings? Is it possible there is contamination in your fluid lines if you have them? Pour a little of the finish out of the can on a sheet of glass, are the chunks there? If not it's coming from your equipment or your prep work.

I checked my setup, replaced the air filters and added a filter at the gun. I have two setups, one at the shop and another on the job. I do a lot of on-site spraying so I am used to dealing with crud in and on the paint. I am not sure what is going on but I will do what I do when the pre-cat gets wonky on me. I will spray Lorchem Uni lac ultra-clear over it. I love this product because it is silky smooth, has a nice sheen to it and just looks better. Just more work after a long build.

Here's one run of the bumpy cabinets. To the eye the finish looks real good but run your hand over them and thatís a different story.

From Contributor S

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info

It looks like it may be solvent pop. This happens when the coating is applied too thick and it skins over before the solvents have had a chance to evaporate. Thinning the finish with a standard lacquer thinner blend corrects the problem. Are you thinning the finish as recommended on the tech data sheet? By thinning it 15% I have had excellent results with the Becker CV. It's a very good product.