Troubleshooting a "Skipping" Pump

When the fluid pump in an air-assisted airless rig loses pressure intermittently, clean out the ball check valve. July 27, 2008

I was spraying this morning to get a job out the door this week when my pump began to skip a beat. The spray would pause for a small portion of the pump cycle. I haven't encountered this maintenance issue with this unit and I'm wondering what I have to do to correct it the next time it happens. Is it something with the check balls at the bottom? I got the unit running again by blowing out all the paint and running thinner thru the lines.

Have you checked the filter at the gun?

Here is your fix in less than fifteen minutes. Unscrew the black hose and above it there is a hex nut. You will find a ball check there. Clean it well. I'm ninety percent sure, you have junk in there, and the junk doesn't let the ball seat in the groove.

I have found a clogged siphon tube and hose before. Sometimes a piece of the 5 gallon can gasket has gotten caught in the line.

I agree with contributor B. This has happened to me numerous times. That's usually the culprit.

That's what it was, all right! Found a chip of wood. Imagine that, in a cabinet shop, no less. Thanks for the help, guys.

To contributor B: Nice Tip! Darn those wood chips ;)