Trying to cope

      and how to do it. May 15, 2002

What does the term "coping" mean, as in coping crown moulding?

Forum Responses
Coping, in crown moulding, is the art of backcutting one piece and making it fit tightly against the other's profile. When shrinkage occurs, the usual gap from a miter type joint will not appear.

If you really need to accomplish this task, you can nail one piece of crown up with a square cut on the end. Cut an inside mitre on the piece you want to cope. This creates the line you want to cut to. Remove the wood carefully until you get a tight fit. You have to back bevel your cut fairly drastically depending on the profile. Practice first.

Fine Homebuilding offers a book and video on trim installation written by Craig Savage. If you are a novice, I'd suggest getting a hold of reference material, find a pile of old trim somewhere, and have at it.

I think it's safe to say that learning how to cope requires doing it wrong before you can do it right ;)

I heard of an attachment for your jigsaw that would do this. Also, I saw a guy using a scroll saw with a spiral blade.

I've got the Collins Coping Foot, and it really is a handy attachment for a sabre-saw. Let's me do some really weird angle copes on steep crown.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork

  • KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork: Millwork Installer

  • KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork: Moldings

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking: Installation

  • KnowledgeBase: Woodworking Miscellaneous

  • KnowledgeBase: Woodworking Miscellaneous: Woodworking

  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2020 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article