Tuning Up a Reconditioned Profile Grinder

Advice on adjusting and maintaining a used Weinig 931 profile grinder. March 28, 2010

Question
I am looking at buying a reconditioned Weinig 931 profile grinder for our small millwork shop. I have never ground a knife in my life. Are there issues with this machine that I need to know about? I have been told that you cannot grind axial constant with this machine. Is that correct? How important is that? Any advice regarding these machines or any other grinding advice would be appreciated.

Itís a great machine. This is the machine in which all others are measured too.

As contributor U says, it is a solid machine design. Some were set up for axial constant and others can be converted with a kit, I think if the serial # starts with 931 it falls into that category. Weinig can probably provide more info. I would take Reconditioned with a grain of salt unless you know the seller. Check the linear bearings and the angle segments/castings for proper operation and wear. The segments tend to wear unevenly. These items are expensive and can be time consuming to replace. Ask them if the arbor, template carrier and carriage were correctly aligned when reassembled.

Thanks for input so far. This particular machine is not set up axial constant, and Weinig says from what they can tell it cannot be. Is there a way I can retrofit the machine myself? What about a Weinig optical measuring stand? Would this take care of axial measurements? I sometimes see these go reasonable on auctions. Any advice is appreciated!

Although the machine may not be made axial constant you can get around that by putting a 10mm notch on the side of every template. Then when you grind a new knife put the tracing pin against the 10mm notch and the edge of your steel against the grinding wheel. It is not an exact science but it works, and being you will have a tapered spindle shaft on this grinder the same theory applies. Many have done this for years.

As for the optical stand they are great if you have some extra cash hanging around. You really only need a radial measuring stand (fraction of the cost of the optical stand). You can measure axial measurements from the edge of the cutter head to some point on the pattern with digital calipers and set up from that point. All this information only works with a machine that has counters for easy setup.

We use a 931 for all our profile and straight knives. This machine is dependable, has plenty of power, variable speed, is accurate to 4th decimal place and I would not sell it ever. The coolant pump wears out once in awhile so we use inexpensive 110 volt sump pumps to avoid a Weinig replacement and high costs. I regularly clean and lubricate this as well as keep clean treated coolant in it. Without this our molding section would be handicapped and we would have to be dependent on others. We sharpen for others as well. We have eight stone arbors, and seven sizes of head arbors for all our needs. I cannot think of any weaknesses in this machine except the need to maintain and care for it like any other fine machine. Keep your stones unclogged and dressed properly. This keeps axial constant perfect so our experience is a 10 on 1 to 10 scale.