Understanding the Term "Dote"

"Dote" refers to a minor, localized form of wood decay. May 18, 2010

Question
I'm working on an out-of-state order and I need some clarification as to what exactly a "dote" center is. I'm not sure if that is the correct spelling. Used in a sentence,
"I'm looking for 12" x 12" walnut beams with no dote centers." I assume it means punky or soft but I would just like to make sure.

Doze (synonymous with dote) - A form of incipient decay characterized by a dull and lifeless appearance of wood, accompanied by a lack of strength and softening of the wood substance.

Dote or doze is a form of decay in which the wood has become somewhat softer. I do not like using the word "incipient," which means initial or beginning decay in which there may or may not be softness (usually no softness); in fact, doze or dote does not have to be incipient.

As the center of a beam imparts little strength, a small dote center is really not a big strength issue. I wonder why they are concerned... It would be better if they indicated the diameter of dote. The pith (exact center) is not wood itself and the first few years of growth are made of somewhat different wood than the wood further out from this juvenile core. It is easy to get a small bit of dote in the heart center. Sometimes it extends only a foot up the log and is of minor importance.