Unit Pricing for Production Trim Carpentry

Pros discuss the ballpark price of trimming production homes, and throw a tip or two for making time on the job. November 19, 2005

I'm a self-employed finish carpenter in Hawaii. I am pricing a job consisting of a 104 unit tract of townhomes, with four basic floor plans. I would be doing two units a week, for one year. The casing is 2-1/4 colonial, with no wrap on the windows, only sills. There would be no radiused drywall corners, no crown on the uppers, and postformed tops. The homes have 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and average kitchen. Would $1.20/sf. be a fair price to charge? Does anyone have any other advice?

From the information you given I'd say go for it. I get approximately the same here in NY. The bonus for you is that windows are only stool and apron. With two units a week, you’d better hire a helper or two. Check into some production tips also to speed things along. If you have to cut all of the casing, make a tick mark on the wall, at 83" for example, and stand all the legs up against a wall. Then mark all your rights and lefts. For all the head pieces, make up a board with all of the different door sizes on it, for example 2/4, 2/6 etc. This may speed things up a bit for you. Another suggestion would be to attach casing to one side of door before you install it. Then install door, shim from backside, then trim.

Considering baseboards, doors, window stools, kitchen cabinets, kitchen counter tops, 2 bathroom vanities, that charge sounds low for Nashville, TN much less for Hawaii or NY

I agree with contributor B. Hire two helpers and add $1.00 p/f. By the time you guys do 3-4 houses you’ll be flying and possibly finish ahead of schedule which obviously means more profit for you. But definitely price it up! An oak tread costs me $6.00 to make and I can get $60.00 for it in MA.

I agree with contributor A. That’s how I do it and I average right at 13.5 min. per interior door.