Upcut, Downcut Or Compression Tools

Which is better? It depends on the use (and your technique). April 10, 2005

We are purchasing a new flat bed CNC router and are wondering if there is much of a difference in the finish from the different tool types. We will be working with 18, 25 and 40mm double-sided veneers on mdf or chipboard. Has anyone tried the different types and noticed the difference between them (up, down and compression)?

I understand that compression is the recommended tool type but at double the price are they really worth it? Any advice would be appreciated.

In my experience an upcut spiral will chip the top surface of material and a downcut spiral will chip the bottom. Hence a compression which is part upcut and part downcut, leaves the material chip free. I have had good luck with an Amana carbide tipped opposite shear (which is the same as compression) at a lower cost of purchase and of sharpening.

Thanks for the feedback. The reason I'm asking is that when using a hand based router on double sided material, this chipping does not seem to be a problem.

As contributor A said, use a compression bit to do through cuts on double-sided material. This bit produces chip free cuts on both sides. Use a down shear bit for cutting dados, rabbets, pockets, etc. This will leave the top surface chip free (a compression will most likely chip the top surface).

You need to check the length of the upcut on a compression bit. The dado needs to be deeper than the upcut to get a chip free dado. What I usually forget is to make the first pass deep enough on a multiple depth cut. There are bits (mortising compression) that have a smaller upcut than a standard compression spiral.

You also need to check the upcut length of a compression bit to ensure that it is not higher than the thickness of the thru-cut, otherwise it will chip the top of the material.

Thanks for all this information - it will save me a fortune in stock and experimentation.

Are compression tools or any solid carbide tools really worth it? Not if you are running them incorrectly. On a CNC a carbide tipped tool will do the job, but at slower feed speeds and more tool changes. With a solid carbide tool, it will last a minimum of 4 times longer and increase feed speeds also by the much if not more, with a superior edge finish. If you are using a hand held router solid carbide is probably not the way to go, as you will not realize the benefits.

Here’s a little story. 15 years ago I was hired as a consultant to decrease cycle times at a very large furniture mfg. The tooling we designed reduced not only their cycle times by 70%, but reduced their need to sand the parts. The sanding dept. had 240+ employees. The company decided against this as it would put a few hundred people out of work, (it could have deployed these people to assembly or other positions) and their brothers, sisters, etc. would have been out of a job. Since then the company has closed numerous plants, let people go and are importing their parts from China. Over 60% of firms using a CNC are not utilizing them as were intended.

My limitation for router speed is based on vacuum holddown more than anything else. I can't go as fast as a solid carbide should be run without moving parts, so I use the carbide tipped at a slower speed.

Yes, the compressions are worth it if you are running the correct feeds and speeds. Keep in mind also that the collets are just as important.