Upgrading Sliding Table Saw Fences and Stops

      Woodworkers discuss ways to build advanced table saw fences or adapt standard parts from other saws. December 31, 2013

I have an older SCMI (SI12) sliding table saw. The crosscut fences is the old style. The stops do not flip up and out of the way. I'd like to upgrade it to the modern flip top style. I cannot find any manufacturer that makes an upgrade stop gauge system that is at least 59"L. I don't need anything fancy like TigerStop, just a simple manual slide and flip up. Any info?

Forum Reponses
(WOODnetWORK Forum)
From contributor J:
You could buy a couple of the Kreg stops. They may need a little modification to fit your fence extrusion. Or you could get the top track and attach that to your fence. You can do a lot with the stuff from 80/20 also. I've built many a shop fixture or jig from their products.

From the original questioner:
I have looked at the Kreg stops and tracks. Unfortunately the tracks only come 48" at the most. I didn't want to piece it together. As for the stops, maybe I could alter them to fit my track. I'll have to look into it more.

From the original questioner:
The rail that the stops travel on and lock down to is on the vertical surface that your work piece butts up to. Even if I could make a Kreg stop fit the slot, it would be still in the way. I need to find a track that is 59"L that can be mounted on the top side.

From contributor J:
You could buy an aluminum T-slot extrusion to replace what is there and use Kreg stops or probably anybody else's.

From the original questioner:
Now I'm getting somewhere. I can make that work. I was hoping to find some system or kit that I could fasten down instead of fabricating my own. I can't believe there is not a company selling a system for this type of application.

From contributor K:
Take a look at Accurate Technology's ProStop. Mostly, look at the guide rail. From pics of a SI-12 it looks similar. I have this rail so we can compare measurements if you like.

From the original questioner:
Thanks for the lead. I just contacted ProScale. I'll see what they have to offer.

From contributor M

Click to View Member Profile

You could buy the fence from whichever brand/model of saw you like as a repair part. These fences are easy to mount and you could likely do it with no mods at all. Or you might have to drill a couple holes. Be careful with the extrusions not manufactured for use as a precision fence. A good fence is machined for flatness after it is extruded.

From the original questioner:
Thanks for the ideas. I've been talking to Hermance Machinery in Williamsport, PA. I've been starting to take that approach. Except it's a bit more involved than just drilling holes and bolting a fence down. I need to make the locating cams fit so the fence can be squared up or changed to angles. Thanks for pointing out the flatness issue. I didn't think about that.

From contributor S:
Normand in Canada has an aluminum flip stop system that is surprisingly robust. I cannot deflect them, unlike the Kreg jigs. I think they sell for about 75 each and then there is the track. If you elect to buy T slot aluminum for a fence, buy two sizes - one that telescopes inside the other for the extension.

From contributor J:
Do you have a link for those stops? Can't locate them on the website since we don't know what they are called or who makes them.

From contributor S:
Annoyingly they seem to have no name. Apparently Normand has them made by someone. They mount to a slotted track that is then mounted to a stainless steel rail that is sloped (only needed if you want to mount them to a radial saw, etc.). Just call Normand in Mississauga and explain that you are interested in literature regarding their aluminum stops for radial saws, etc. They are sometimes in their sale flyers so they should be able to direct you to a page. I like them because they are only about 2 inches wide total. Wider than the stop portion of large flip stops, but the overall width is smaller. Meaning you could have multiple stops on the rail close together.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking: General

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2020 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article