Using Euro-Style Hinges On Face-Frame Cabinets

Pros share tips and methods for a tricky problem: using "Euro" hardware with face-frame cabinets. December 28, 2005

Question
I think I have a scheme for using system holes to mount euro hinges on inset face frame applications. Blum hinges call for a 9 mm plate to make a door have no overhang. If I use an 18mm plate, and overhang my face frame 9mm to the inside of the cabinet, can't I put them in system holes? Does anyone know why this wouldn’t work?

Your math looks good, but the question is, can you consistently leave your face frames at 9mm off the partitions? I think the easier route - if you want to use non-face frame plates - is to make your partitions flush with the face frame edges. You can see that accuracy with your eye.

Just try it. I have not had consistent results, but I did not use Blum. It seems like the 37mm spacing was too far forward - the doors could not be adjusted back far enough. But again, just try it. Ask your rep for some samples.

I guess there's no harm in trying. If it doesn't work, I'll just fur it out the usual way. I hate to make the sides flush because then you're really losing space.

You could just use the frame plate that they make. I guess you'd have to screw them on though, but that’s not a big deal. They screw from behind and you need about 5/8" minimum from frame edge to wall. They've got frame plates for overlay doors too, not counting the compact 33 series.

It works fine. We build frames from 7/8" with 13/16" doors so the frame lines up with the plane of the door, otherwise your mounting holes need to be set back a little. You can also use the Blum full-inset (18mm crank) hinge with a 0 or 3 mm plate to get the same effect with a wall flush to the face frame.

Have you thought about making frameless cabinets? You don't lose the space, and this Euro stuff was made for it.

There are lots of good ideas here. I need to do the full flush inset because that's what the client wants. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother and I'd use Euro.

Contributor E is right in using thicker stock for face frames if you are trying to use system holes with a 37mm setback. One of the best posters on this site is using a system that allows him to build a Euro box and apply a F/F on it. He also makes his mid rails 1-1/4" wide to allow for drawer slides and still stay within a 32mm system. I've used this system for a year now and it works like a charm.

We recently went through this discussion. Flush ends to face frame are a pain to assemble and reveal any glue squeeze-out or stain leaking under blue tape if you finish assembled. Our solution (we also do 99% inset flush) is to use a hinge/plate made for a 1/8 reveal. We make our stiles 1-3/4" allowing 3 sides and 2 reveals. This works great. The hinges are Italian. Blum doesn't make such a hinge apparently. The ends with frame and panel get a bead on the stile back side and 1/8 reveal past the finished end also. So 1-3/4 stiles work on almost all situations. Drawer stacks next to doors will need furring out