Veneer Checking or Finish Defect?

This might be veneer checking, but more likely it's a problem with the coating. February 29, 2012

I have a problem with some veneer checking on a custom wenge desk top. I am wondering if there is anything I can do short of reveneering the edge again, as this raw wood veneer was one of the toughest I have ever done. It was extremely brittle and hard to cut. Also the checks seem to travel into the face veneer for some reason. The veneer was all raw and laid up on MDF using urea formaldehyde glue. This problem doesn't seem to be happening anywhere else but the edge of the top. It was finished using ML Campbell products.

This was the side of the desk. There doesn't seem to be any problems with any of it.

That looks more like the finish checking than the veneer checking to me. It's highly unlikely that the Pommele Sapele would split in exactly the same place as the Wenge, unless there's a crossband underneath both; even then, not likely. I guess the bright spot is that a finish check is easier to fix!

Your finish is too thick. I'm guessing too many mils of pre-cat.

I hope you are correct that it is just in the finish. I usually do 2 sealer coats and 2 topcoats with Magnasand as the sealer and Magnamax as the topcoat. If refinishing the top will solve the problem I will be one happy man! It seemed to me that the checking was deeper than the finish, but the top is covered with glass so it was hard to tell.