Veneer Splicer Oil Dripping

Advice on minimizing an oil dripping issue that makes unsightly marks on veneer in the splicer. February 28, 2013

Question
I have a Diehl veneer splicer that creates a very good veneer joint, however the veneer gets pretty heavy oil contamination from the chain and belts. Has anyone dealt with this, or have any suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Is it likely that someone did not lube the chain drive at some point, in which case the fix would be a cleaning and an application of a non-staining lube that doesn't migrate or drip.

Have you talked to Diehl? I have never met a company that is better on aftermarket service than Diehl, and all I ever bought was a 30 year old saw! They have some online troubleshooting, but you will find lots of expert help if you call them.

We had a Diehl service rep come down a few months back and show us how to clean and operate the machine. He was very knowledgeable and eliminated a lot of the problem, but we still have issues with random oil dripping. He basically said that you never know when it is going to happen. The machine is not new, but I find it hard to believe the company has stayed in business if this is standard for the machines.

Make sure you use the correct oil that Diehl recommends. Do you use the automatic oilier? I have had up to five splicers and we never use the auto lube. Also, we now have only composite chains which require less oil. We keep the upper hold down chains not quite dry and rarely have an oil issue.

We have been using the oil that Diehl recommends and applying it manually. We currently have metal chains. We have been told that the composite chains should solve a lot of the problem, but before I shell out the substantial money for this I want to feel good that the problem will indeed be solved.

Are you sure the issue is from oil drips? Another common occurrence with Diehl splicers is condensation which occurs when first starting the machines up from a cold state in the morning. The condensate drops pick up iron from the machine and then when the drops hit red oak veneer you get blue stain marks for example. I know some old timers used to leave the machines heated at a low temperature to alleviate this.