Waiting to Saw Douglas Fir Logs

Doug fir logs may be all right if left sitting for a year before sawing. May 14, 2006

Question
I have some Doug fir that I need to cut now - 18-28" diameter, 100-125' lengths, a few hundred. But I can't get to milling it for at least a year. How long can I let it sit before sawing, and what should I do to keep it from checking, rotting, etc.? I live in southern Oregon and it gets to the 100's in the summer with low humidity and rains 20-30" in winter.

I often cut fir that has been down for at least a year. Bit of bug damage, but that's about it. It's lighter and often the bark falls right off. I wouldn't leave it for two years, though. Be interesting to hear the Doc's input on this. I'm in southwestern BC. Just as hot in the summer, but dryer in the winter.

I cut up some logs that were harvested last April today. Ponderosa pine and Doug fir. Loose bark, but excellent lumber. I'm in northwest Montana.

I'm not far from you, and around here, Doug fir tends to go bad faster then any other species. Pines do real well, except for blue, unless you strip the bark. I've milled some that were down as long as 3-4 years.