Warming Drawer Installation Issues

Getting a warming drawer to fit into an already-built cabinet as a change order calls for some creative tweaking. February 26, 2007

Question
I am installing my first Thermadoor wd24 warming drawer in a 3 drawer stack. There is a 6" drawer above, then the warming drawer, and a 12" drawer below. I have a raised panel drawer front that I will be attaching to the wd24. The cabinet size outside is 24" and 23.625 clear inside. If I attach the warming drawer to the edge, then the drawer front will protrude beyond the other two drawers because of the rubber seal and metal frame of the warming drawer unit. It seems that the only way I can get everything flush is to notch out the sides of the cabinet with my plunge router so that the warming unit fits into the rabbet flush to the inside of the cabinet with a small protrusion of 1/16 so that the door will seal well. This was an afterthought by the client and I cannot change the cabinet size. Any advice?

You're probably stuck doing the hack job this time to get the thing to fit right. In the future, you might try doing it the way we do it. For a 3 drawer stack, warming drawer in the middle, build three separate boxes. The warming drawer box is set back from the others by the appropriate amount. So as not to confuse the installers, preassemble the three boxes prior to shipping.

Thanks for the quick response. In the future I will certainly do it your way. Had no choice this time, but with the help of my Super Rabbet bit with several size bearings, I was able to do a neat job in 10 minutes. Chiseled the corners square and the puppy slid right in with no ply showing.

Here is how we do it. Although this one is a Dacor in the top position, the methodology works in either situation with either brand.

Photo courtesy of Bob Buckley of True32 Custom Cabinetry

Contributor B brings up a good thought. If you look at the specs for the 24" Dacor warming drawer, you'll see these units work a little different than the Thermador and Wolf units and having the customer change units may be the best solution.

Thanks for your suggestions. My cabinet was 1/2 too narrow inside for the model that the client already bought. I plunged a 1/4 groove just 1/2" deep into the inside of the cabinet for the 10" height of the box and slid it in so that the seal is flush with the front of the cabinet. It is hard to tell that it wasn't designed that way. This is the first time in 27 years that a client has sprung a surprise after the cabinets were built and the doors are at the finisher. Have to count my blessings.

P.S. I like the Dacor drawer, as the drawer front does not have to be drilled out for the control knob or on-off light. I had to sand down the control knob on the Thermador because the mitred drawer profile is only 1 3/4" wide and the hole would have come into the raised panel profile area, which is thin. Will definitely recommend to future clients.

Here is what it looks like closed.