Ways to Minimize Grain Raising

Sand after wetting, or seal with shellac before finishing. January 13, 2006

Is there any way to keep a water based lacquer from raising the grain on pine? If not, what do you do about it? Do you just have to do a more aggressive job on the first coat sanding?

Dampen the wood with water (rag) first, let dry and sand. This will almost eliminate grain raise when the stain goes on.

Rather than just use water, I spray a coat of 1 part water base finish to 5 parts of water. When it dries and is sanded, the raised grain cuts off cleanly. Really minimizes the grain raising. I do a lot of oak raised panel doors and I get a very nice finish with two coats of finish.

Do you stain before or after the 5-1 spray?

From Paul Snyder, forum technical advisor:
You could seal the wood with shellac or an oil-base finish to eliminate the grain raise. The sealer will also bring out the character of the wood better than the water-base finish alone.

I use a highly thinned varnish and spray and wipe it like a stain. Let it dry, sand very lightly to smooth, then topcoat. The first coat lays down beautifully; no grain raise. If you're trying to avoid the look of shellac or an oil-base finish, and just stick with water-base, then try spraying a few dust coats to seal the wood before you hit it with a wet coat. It takes longer, and isn't as effective, but there's a lot less grain raise than usual.