Weatherstripping Pocket Doors

A quick tip on how to draft-stop an interior architectural pocket door. November 14, 2014

Question (WOODWEB Member)

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Categories

I'm renovating an old building and have been asked to make pocket vestibule doors. The outside door hinges and leads to a small vestibule, with a stairway up and sliding doors on both sides. The sliders will mostly be closed for privacy and to separate the space. In order to keep drafts down I've been asked to seal the sliders. I can think of several ways to do this, but have never done it before and would prefer a detail that is proven to work. At this point, I'm not even sure which is better, a top hung door or one that sets on a track.

From Gary Katz, forum technical advisor::
For exterior sliding doors, I find that bottom wheels are the best way to go. Kerf the bottom of the doors on both sides and install kerf-in weatherstripping. Q-lon makes that in several sizes, for doors and for windows. I use the small variety in the head of the door and the larger one at the bottom, so it reaches to the sill. At the head of the door, I allow an extra 3/16" on each side of the door, between the door and the stop, for the q-lon.