When to Seal Log Ends

If you delay too long before sealing, you may have to cut back the ends to fresh wood first. January 25, 2010

Question
Does it do any good to seal log ends that have been cut for six months or more? Will it help in not splitting after they are milled?

I do not think it will be of any benefit.

How about lumber that has been sawn about a month? I know it should be done immediately, but will it be of any help now?

If it has been drying for a month, probably not.

If you cut the ends back and get into the 30%+ range of the log and past any visible checking, it will still keep the log sealed. At least that's been my experience.

One month is generally no problem for most species at least from my own experience. I've retrieved logs that I let lay in the brush for months and even a year and have been able to salvage the majority of the log. But these were in the shade for the most part.

However, if the logs are small and there is considerable surface checking, I wouldn't bother.

Can anyone suggest a good reasonable sprayer that works with Anchorseal-type products? And please not some $500 unit - something for a one man operation.

Why not ask AnchorSeal about this?

Called Anchor Seal and they say to seal before bad checking starts; 2 to 3 weeks is usually okay. If checking is bad, cut back log and then seal.