Where to "plug" a moisture meter

How to use moisture meters to assure accurate readings. November 21, 2000

When using a moisture meter, will I get the most accurate reading on the face of the board or on the side?

Most meters come with an informational booklet that tells you how to get your best readings. My experience with pin type meters has taught me to drive the pins on the face or surface but always with the grain. Just piercing the surface will give you surface moisture while driving approximately half way into the face (ie 1" for 8/4, 1/2" for 4/4, etc.) will give you a core reading. With a properly calibrated meter, you should get pretty close to the exact moisture in your piece.