Whether to Bevel the Edge of Cabinet Doors

When would it be wise to taper the back side of a cabinet door to permit closing and opening without binding? June 12, 2014

Does anyone taper the pull side of inset doors so at the apex the door will not hit the FF? I have 3/32nd's reveal, 13/16 doors and FF and am wondering if this is necessary? Secondly I was told by a fellow more experienced cabinet maker that if you make your reveals 1/8 around doors/drawers the paint buildup will shrink your reveal to 3/32nd. That seams significant even with thick milk paint and also seems to be pushing it for euro hinges w/5mm bore distance. Any input would be appreciated.

From Contributor B

Click to View Member Profile Member Photo Member Contact Info Forum Posts

This is an interesting post. I appreciate learning new things on this forum. I am puzzled though why you feel using a Euro hinge presents a particular challenge with this application (with or without a bevel).

The typical standard with five part wood doors is 3/32 on all sides. If you had an extremely wide door over 20" you might think about leaving 1/8" on the knob side. Likewise, french pairs are typically given an 1/8" margin to account for the extra width and swing. Occasionally, we might put a very slight back bevel on a pair of wide doors - never on a single.

Contributor B: He is concerned with expansion of the door size after fabrication/installation. The type of hinge is really irrelevant. I do not plan on going back to each house at a later date to adjust the hinges 1/32" each summer and winter. Paint doesn't make a difference unless you slather it on.

Whatever comes off in sanding goes back in paint. Cut the gap that you want. I, like most, use 3/32nds", and only back bevel for parliament hinges or pass through lazy susanís. Draw it out two times or three times scale, then swing your radius from the hinge pivot; you'll see if back beveling is necessary.

From Contributor H:
The beveled edge is an excellent idea in high-humidity environments. If the room is pretty well climate controlled, then it tends not to be as much of an issue.