Whether to Glue Pocket-Screwed Face Frame Joints

Most cabinetmakers use glue for joint stability even when the joint is secured with pocket screws. October 15, 2012

Question
In our shop there is a debate about gluing or not gluing the stile and rail joint of our face frames. When building face frames using a pocket screw machine and frame table, is it necessary to glue the stile and rail joints?

I do.

I do as well.

Why wouldn't you?

One of the advantages to using glue is to seal the end grain so it doesn't absorb stain and cause a dark line at the joint.

If you pocket screw the cabinet box to the face frame, the joint can move and all the sanding you do to make the stile and rail even is all for naught. (That is if you pre-finish your face frame.)

Can you? Yes. Should you? No, in my opinion. Glue is your friend.

Yes, always. If the joint moves, the finish cracks.

Yes.

Always!

Over time the wood will expand and contract enough times that the screws will loosen. I think of the face frame screws like clamps until the glue dries.

I do also.

For several years I didn't, and then started doing painted cabinets and had paint cracks at the joint, and unevenness. I started gluing them and haven't had it happen anymore. If you really want to see if it makes a difference, do what I did. Cut a couple pieces of face frame stock about 12'' long, pocket hole it, glue it and screw it together. Come back the next day and take the screws out and see how hard it is to break apart... Bet it doesn't break without taking some wood with it.

If you don't believe contributor M's test, then do it the other way around. Pocket screw two pieces together, then take the screws out and see how well it holds.

Glue is a good idea, however hairline cracking of a painted frame is not always joint movement. You have two pieces of wood with grain expansion in different directions of each other. Normal movement with humidity changes causes the tiny crack, not the lack of glue. That's why doors will show small hairline cracks on a paint finish.