Which Parts to Cut with a CNC Setup

A shop owner has just bought a CNC machine, and wants to know what he should use it for. Short answer: "Everything." August 30, 2005

Question
I just received my first CNC to do nesting for frameless cabinets. What other parts do you let the machine cut other than the standard 3/4" walls, bottoms, tops, etc? How about nailers, stretchers, detached toe-kick cores, and 1/4" backs? Are these items you would let the machine cut also?

Mine cuts almost everything in the shop - toe-kicks, stretchers, and nailers, especially if I can cut something on the edge and reduce waste.

I realized I could cut anything, I was just wondering if it was cost efficient to cut everything.

You have to forget the old ways of machining parts. Your CNC will cut anything. It’s no use doing a secondary operation for nailers, toes, etc as precision goes out the door and mistakes are ushered in.

There are some things you might want to still do manually. Not many, but some. I still do a few things the old fashion way. You really have to look at each operation.

Don't forget to machine your fluted columns, arches, and etc on the CNC too.