Wood Doc's Video about Wood Moisture

Here's Dr. Gene Wengert's video presentation about wood moisture content and wood behavior. August 16, 2012

You might enjoy the video I made about moisture. It is in 7 parts, below.

Doc, I am looking to invest in a Wagner MC 220 moisture reader for white oak and poplar. In your opinion, do you think it is the best one to get for my purpose?

I would need to know more about how you will use the meter. The model you mention is a good meter, as are all the major brand, made in USA, meters. Some are better for using at the end of a kiln run, some are better for checking furniture parts or flooring, etc.

This is for kiln use.

Are you aware that its effective range is 5 - 30% MC according to the manufacturer? How do you plan to get a sample out so you can put the meter on the surface? In general, a portable moisture meter cannot be used to run a kiln. The sample boards with weighing must be used.

I am going to use the sample boards. So you think I do not need one to run a kiln?

They are useful for checking the MC after kiln drying.