Wood dust a carcinogen?

The Wood Doctor points to two sources of information on the carcinogenic properties of wood dust. 1998.

Q.
I am searching for information on wood dust or sawdust as a carcinogen. If you could direct me in the proper direction or share some information I would sincerely appreciate it. I have the only reference from OSHA that I can find which is an interpretation of a request letter. I can't find an MSDS specific to the topic, but I know it is out there somewhere.

A.
I just saw an excellent book on wood dust, WOODSHOP DUST CONTROL. This book is available in many woodworker supply stores including The Woodworkers' Store, 800-279-4441. Price is $19.95.

For more technical matters, the expert that I rely on is Dr. Fred Lamb, Brooks Forest Products Center, Ramble Road, Blacksburg, VA 24063-0503.

Professor Gene Wengert is Extension Specialist in Wood Processing at the Department of Forestry, University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Click on Wood Doctor Archives to peruse past answers.

If you would like to obtain a copy of "The Wood Doctor's Rx", visit www.fdmbookstore.bigstep.com/ for more information.

Wood dust was officially added to the list of "known" human carcinogens on 12/11/02 by the National Institute of Health.