- Spreadsheet Calculation Program -- for Curves, Angles, Compound Miters and Springback
Free downloadable program(s) in both Excel and MS Works, including illustrations that support the formulas.. August 6, 2002
The downloadable file listed at the end of this article is an Excel Speadsheet program (also available as a Microsoft Works file, but not in revised and expanded version) that can be used to automatically calculate:
- Arcs - Calculates arc length, radius, angle in rads and degrees. When any combination (2 of 3) of information is known. Chord, height, radius.
- Angles - When the length of two sides are known (simple trigonometry).
- Compound miter - Saw settings for cutting molding on various wall angles and molding slopes.
- Dual slope compound miter - Settings for a box with different slope on sides than front and back.
- Springback - Predicted springback for glue-ups.
- Ellipse geometry - Distance between foci and string length, when semi-major and semi-minor axis is known.
- Proportion - Golden mean rectangle calculator.
- Cone geometry - Calculations for flattened cone and partial cone.
The Excel file is 1.03MB in size and has images that illustrate the functions for each calculation worksheet. The Works file is 28K. Images that illustrate the functions of this program can also be viewed below.
The program was created by Paul Huntington, an architectural woodworker with 22 years experience in the Denver, CO area. Carl Stammerjohn also contributed to the springback portion of this program. Carl runs a one-man custom furniture shop in Torrance, California, and has a degree in mechanical engineering. WOODWEB would like to thank Paul for his willingness to share his program with woodworkers throughout the world, and also thank Carl for providing the added springback functionality.
Excel Program --- Works Program
An important note about safe downloading: After downloading, and before execution, all files should be fully scanned with an up to date anti-virus program. Virus detection and removal software is available at many secure locations on the Web, or can be purchased over the counter. Download software only if you are certain it is safe for your computer system. WOODWEB makes no claims, and assumes absolutely no liability, for any software listed or downloaded at this site.
Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?
Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
KnowledgeBase: Adhesives, Gluing and Laminating
KnowledgeBase: Adhesives, Gluing and Laminating: Gluing and Clamping Equipment
KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork
KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork: Custom Millwork
KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork: Doors and Windows
KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork: Moldings
KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork: Millwork Restoration
KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking: Custom Cabinet Construction
KnowledgeBase: Computerization: Software
KnowledgeBase: Furniture: Custom Furniture
KnowledgeBase: Furniture: Furniture Repairs
KnowledgeBase: Woodworking Miscellaneous
KnowledgeBase: Woodworking Miscellaneous: Bending Wood
KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in
any manner without permission of the Editor.
Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.
The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices.
What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe
for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use
of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation,
and at their own risk.
335 Bedell Road
Montrose, PA 18801
Copyright © 1996-2018 - WOODWEB ® Inc.