Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Cleaning glue off stave door cores

6/17/16       
Chad

My guys in the shop have been cleaning dried glue from stave door cores for over 25+ years with a scraper bar. (See example picture - these cores have already been cleaned up).

I have been trying to talk them into using the jointer or planer to do this work because it is faster and easier on the body.

They say they want to save the knives in these machines. They also mention that they need at least one flat side before going through the planer anyway.

What do other door makers do to get rid of extra glue off the stave cores before they glue on the face skins (veneers)?

Thanks

View higher quality, full size image (2000 X 1500)

6/17/16       #2: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
John S  Member

In my past experience working for commercial door companies, we always used a calibrating sander. We made (or bought) the core a little thick and sanded to final thickness after gluing the stiles & rails on. That also served to make sure we had a flat, flush surface to laminate the face and back to.

6/17/16       #3: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
Larry

We knock the big blobs off with a scraper then calibrate through the wide belt.

6/17/16       #4: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
Mark Elliott Member

I glued up on the thick side and calibrated going through the moulder hitting both faces.

Mark

6/17/16       #5: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
Larry

We will also put them through the molder using carbide heads, but often the molder is running trim when the door guys want "their" job done. Using the molder is better.

6/18/16       #6: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
Joe Calhoon

We baby ours. After glue dries an hour or so we scrape the excess off and let them set at least overnight. We face one side on jointer and then run through the S4S machine to prepare for gluing the skins on.
The S4S is a straightening moulder and 70% of the time facing is probably not needed but we do it anyway.
We use TB3 (probably not the best glue for this because it is flexible) and it does not seem to hurt the knives.
When using LVL cores we glue the edges on, flush trim and calibrate on the WBS using the head with a steel roller.

6/18/16       #7: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
Kevin Jenness

Joe, you say "We use TB3 (probably not the best glue for this because it is flexible) and it does not seem to hurt the knives."

Do you use TB3 because it does not hurt the knives, for its moisture resistance or for some other reason? What do you think the best glue would be? And do you use TB3 for edge gluing the staves as well as the edgeband in one step?

6/18/16       #8: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
Joe Calhoon

Sorry Kevin,
We were getting ready to head out and I was typing fast.
We use TB3 just because it is convenient and easy in a small shop. I have heard it has issues in hot climates but we have not experienced any here. Because TB3 is flexible and has creep you can put a stave core on its face side between 2 sawhorses and overnight it will bow down. Turn it the next day and it will go the other way. We have not had issues with this either but a rigid glue like Unibond will probably hold a stave core straighter.

The one plus to using TB3 is that it does not seem to dull up knives very bad.

6/20/16       #9: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
David R Sochar Member

Regarding the OP question:
We joint flat after glue up, with edges in place, then plane. We try to have enough thickness to go thru the planer twice - once on each face.

Regarding TBIII:
TBIII looses about 60% of its strength at 170 degrees - more at higher temps. I have measured East facing dark finish door faces at 180 degrees, explaining why the panel joints failed.

We even had a notable case where stave core doors made with TBIII on the staves came loose under 1/16" walnut faces that were adhered with plastic resin glue! The stave joints telegraphed thru the faces and we had to basically rebuild the doors. They faced East.

We have changed to TBII as a result and have had no problems after almost a year. It is not like our doors are submerged.

The temp/strength info came from a Titebond glue tech. He suggested we not use it as an aside to a conversation as to why we were having TBIII fail on W R Cedar assemblies (that is another story....). I have talked to others that have had TBIII failures that now appear to be heat related. Can anyone say "Class Action?"

6/20/16       #10: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
Chad Member

Thanks for all the responses to my question.

We use TBII on our door parts.

We did try TBIII for a short stint - I was convinced it was a better glue due to it stating it was water proof. The guys in the shop were immediately turned off be the glue. We also discovered that it did not stand up as well. We had several glued up panels fall apart.

What type of glue (or process) do you use to glue-up your panels on your doors. We have a door coming up with some fairly large panels and are concerned with the glue lines showing and separating over time. We are making sure our moisture content in the panels is around 8 - 11%.

I have attached a picture of a test that we completed on some panels we made and put outside for a year. The one on the far right was a panel that we put outside for over a year with no finish.

Any advice from you to make sure the panels don't separate at the glue lines over the long haul? Is it the glue? Is it how the panel is glued up?

Thanks - Chad

View higher quality, full size image (2000 X 1332)

View higher quality, full size image (2000 X 1332)

6/20/16       #11: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
Kevin Jenness

I have never been a fan of T-3 due to its gooey character and poor performance at high temperatures (http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx?id=e8d40b45-0ab3-49f7-8a9c-b53970f736af). I will say the manufacturer clearly shows the weakening effect of high temps on this page although their marketing ignores it.

I have used Titebond 2 successfully on a number of exterior applications, and as long as it doesn't stay wet it seems to perform well. I have gone to using it for most purposes to simplify ordering.

Titebond 1 Extend has a role in complicated interior glueups. If Titebond 2 Extend didn't tend to separate out solid from fluid it would have a place on the shelf. My other standard is epoxy, but it too loses strength at high temps (better than T-3 though).

I really don't care for the formaldehyde exposure with PPR glues and their limited shelf life, and they are not designed as exterior adhesives. Resorcinol is bulletproof but has an objectionable glueline as well as the minimum temperature requirement for curing (shared with PPR). What's a fellow to do?

I guess I will continue to stick (pun intended) with T-2 for most processes and epoxy for final assembly of complicated doors due to the long assembly time and slipperiness. Having the glue seize up as I clamp a four panel door alone is not my idea of fun.

To the original question, when I was using stave core purchased in sheets we would rough out the parts, joint and thickness before applying edgebanding, trim flush, clean up the glue before curing and run through the widebelt. It would probably be more efficient to band then face and plane. Our planer (SCMI S52) had a very minor snipe so we always ran stock through the widebelt to eliminate that, plus the epoxy we used requires an 80# tooth for good adhesion.

The bottom line is the parts should be flattened at some point prior to the faces being glued on. Most of the glue should be removed before that happens to minimize scarring the knives or fouling the wide belts, and that is most easily done before the glue fully cures. With pva's I like to let them set up until rubbery and clean up with a dull chisel.

As to glued exterior panel longevity, I think the best bet is to use stable woods at the appropriate MC, seal the end grain well and keep it away from exposure to standing water in the rail grooves and maintain the finish. The cyclical exposure to rain, wind and sun on unfinished exposed end grain is going to overwhelm the best glued joint eventually.

6/20/16       #12: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
Joe Calhoon

I would agree that TB3 is funny stuff. We stir the pails before using. I have noticed the color is a little different between batches. We used TB2 for years on doors with no issues also. I do like the 3 better for gluing skins on because it does not creep like 2 does. If you have side pressure this is not a issue.

Big wide panels are dangerous. Even though it is said a good glue joint is as strong as T&G or shaped glue joint we always us T&G or glue joints made on our S4S machine for any exterior panels. I figure if they open a little at least you will not see daylight. We use back to back panels with insulation between when there is room. I believe that helps as well.

6/22/16       #13: Cleaning glue off stave door cores ...
doug mclaren  Member

i keep a 3 inch putty knive by glue up bench. i squegee glue smooth while wet. then hit glue right by clamps with chisel or pocket plane, flip and run thru planer. i use tb2 and plastic resin.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)