Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Applying wide mullions in exterior door

11/30/18       
Chris

Hi there,

We're in the process of building a set of doors that have an artistic rendering of a tree on them in the form of mullions. Due to the obviously, er, branchy nature of the mullions it is not possible to do TDL on the glass unit. The glass unit is 1 1/4" thick, and some of the mullions are quite wide, as you can see, so you will be able to see the back side of the mullions when you look at the door closely.

My question is what in your opinion is the best way to adhere the mullions to the glass? The doors will be installed in a variable climate area, however they will be protected under 12' of roof. There are mullions on both sides of the door, inside and out.

My current thoughts on the matter are to do one of two things. First, I could fully cover the mullions in black silicone and then apply the glass, so that the silicone looks consistent from the back side. Removal of the glass unit should it ever be necessary would be very difficult and would likely result in damage to the mullions. Or, I could spray paint the backside of the mullions a glossy black paint, and then only apply a small bead of silicone to the edges. In the event of removal of the glass this would be much easier.

I don't particularly find myself fond of either option. I'm giving this extra thought especially since we had an IGU fail on one of our doors recently. Luckily there were no mullions on that one.

Any other methods to out there that I haven't thought of?

Thanks.

View higher quality, full size image (1920 X 2560)

View higher quality, full size image (1920 X 2560)

11/30/18       #2: Applying wide mullions in exterior ...
Bruce H

I like the idea of finishing the branches first. Something like Gluvit would be good and then gluing to the glass with silicone. The hardest part is because you can see the backside.

11/30/18       #3: Applying wide mullions in exterior ...
John Member

If the door is under 12' of roof I don't see why you would want to glue the "branches" to the glass. I'd finish the back sides of the "branches" the same as the show sides and install the glass like you would if there were no "branches". If you paint the inside surfaces black I think it's going to look poor because the glass unit is so thick. I'd make a mock-up to see which way to go.

John

12/2/18       #4: Applying wide mullions in exterior ...
Adam

Basic info:
1.wood species(looks like vertical cedar)
2. exterior finish
3. interior finish

Silicone can often have air bubbles in it. The bond between silicone and glass is aggressive. There will be no fixing that door if the glass gets damaged.

There are several polyurethane sealants(Sika) that provide waterproofing but do not glue themselves to glass.

Most importantly. Why are sheet rocked walls always unpainted in woodworking shops? I guess we need it for fire proof resistance, but are too busy/lazy to prime them atleast. Nothing like a 20 year old unpainted taped sheet rocked wall. Its an acquired taste.

12/3/18       #5: Applying wide mullions in exterior ...
Chris

I've been mulling the whole idea of not applying the 'branches' to the glass as well, but of my options I think I like that the least. I don't know how that would hold up over time, and having the 'branches' curl or wave in the wind would be neat 'feature', I'm not sure that's the desired effect. :P

The customer is going to be staining and maintaining the door themselves, so the option of pre-finishing the backsides the same as the rest of the door isn't there. They haven't even chosen the stain colour yet. Not particularly a fan of that, but that's what they wanted to pay.

Which Sika product would you recommend? Something like this: https://tinyurl.com/yckq8kdo

12/3/18       #6: Applying wide mullions in exterior ...
John Member

I would have made the entire panel of "branches" removable, screwed to the frame in a few places. Then it would be easy to remove, repair, refinish, as needed. If they are even just 1/2" thick they will be plenty rigid w/o gluing them to the glass.

John

12/3/18       #7: Applying wide mullions in exterior ...
BH Davis  Member

Can I ask why the glass units are 1 1/4" thick? Are they triple pane? If not this seems overkill.

If they are just regular double pane glass units I would think you could get the glass maker to give you a mullion pattern between the panes. It would certainly be time consuming, expensive and take a talented hand to pull off. However the results would look like a TDL unit.

I agree with the comment of attaching the branch mullion units at the edges instead of full gluing to the glass. If you are concerned about durability you could spot glue them in areas of concern with clear silicone. This is even better if you can pull of the curved between glass mull strips.

BH Davis

12/4/18       #8: Applying wide mullions in exterior ...
Chris

The IGUs are 1 1/4" thick because the doors are 2 1/4" thick. The matching doors with solid panel construction have 1 1/4" sandwich style panels in them, so all the machining on the doors matches. Putting the mullions in the glass is certainly an interesting idea, and would make cleaning the glass units way easier, but that would require staining them first. Like I said, client hasn't even chosen stain as far as I'm aware.

12/5/18       #9: Applying wide mullions in exterior ...
Mark  Member

Uhhmm-
Not to be a NIA or a PIA, but, mullions separate door or window units,
muntins divide the glass within a door or sash.
And since your door- and a very nice door at that- will have a single glazing unit that's not divided at all, your proper terminology would be an integral grille.
And I agree with finishing it both sides the same to weatherproof it and only glue the tips of the branches down to the glass with a good flexible adhesive.

12/7/18       #10: Applying wide mullions in exterior ...
David R Sochar  Member

This door is more of an art object than door, so some terms/rules don't apply. J Burchard's book "Doormaking- A Do It Yourself Guide" has quite a few art doors in it, but he does not give the detail to them he shows with other types of more common doors. I can say that this art doors were huge in the 70's, but few have lasted, as more conventional assemblies have taken their place.

All above is merely a preface to a hearty "good luck, Bub!" to you and your efforts. I would take the glass to 3/4" or even 5/8" (tempered - if no one has mentioned that yet), to limit seeing 'behind" the overlay. Stretch your moldings so they will match the other molds.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)