Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Customer Mistake

4/23/15       
Expert

We built a high end kitchen, face frame, flush inset doors. Shaker style, painted with Conversion Varnish, incl installation ($50k, thank you). The sink is a Rohl apron front sink. During the planning stage I showed photos of 2 counter top installation methods to the homeowner. He made his selection, I noted the drawing, and built the cabinet accordingly. He had the counter installed differently than agreed upon, and they raised the sink leaving a 1" gap under the sink, which he wants me to fix. Very intelligent guy trying to run his own job, but lacking experience he made the project unpredictable, and stressful. I fully expect a fight over the cost. What to do?

View higher quality, full size image (2656 X 1494)

4/23/15       #2: Customer Mistake ...
Tim Schultz

Why would you want to fight with a customer over anything? I would go fix it and chalk up the expense to the yellow page advertising you don't buy.

For what it is worth a really great solution here would be to use a piece of natural finish lumber like cherry or oak. Maybe match the hardwood flooring or any other color accent in the space. This would look better and be far more viable than trying to fix & blend conversion varnish.

4/23/15       #3: Customer Mistake ...
dustmaker1

Maybe a strip of the stone top material would look good also.
Paul R

4/23/15       #4: Customer Mistake ...
Tim Schultz

You could also harvest some good information out of this project if you took the additional step of documenting this countertop as a thing that needs to be considered.

Your customer probably objected to how thick the transition was from top of 3cm counter to top of farmhouse sink. The countertop guy offered the rabbet detail as a solution.

If you were to photograph this approach and contrast that with a more standard solution when you are meeting with your customer you can minimize this type of problem in the future. You could also use it as part of a dialog about cabinet budgets in general before you submit your bid.

4/23/15       #5: Customer Mistake ...
Expert

I'll say again that I showed photos of 2 different installations, full counter thickness around the sink, and just the slab thickness around the sink. He made his choice, and I noted his choice on the drawing. He is arrogant, won't admit a mistake, and puts it on me. So if I fix it no charge, it's like accepting guilt. And why run from a fight anyway? This fix will cost me $1,000. in lost productivity. I will say that I did post the question, so obviously I'm spinning it in my mind.

4/23/15       #6: Customer Mistake ...
Tim Schultz

Is pretty clear you handled this correctly in the front end. We're pretty thorough ourselves but all the time run into situations where the customer isn't fully cognizant of the ramifications of their choices. Look at all the times you communicate something in your shop but the message never quite gets through.

In these cases we conclude that we need to do a better job of communication. The customers only do this once or twice in their life whereas we're faced with these kinds of issues on a daily basis. We make mistakes in our shop all the time so is not reasonable to expect that customer should hit 100%.

4/23/15       #7: Customer Mistake ...
Gary

What is he asking you to do? Replace the entire sink base? Remove the base and replace the rail and reinstall? In either case, he pays. If it's just a filler under the sink to be applied onsite it should be a quick cheap fix unless he lives a long distance away.

There are a million unexpected problems that can arise and the cabinetmaker can't put preventive measures in place for all of them or absorb all of them.

4/23/15       #8: Customer Mistake ...
sam Member

How old is the Kitchen? It looks like the rail joints are broke and the doors don`t fit right.
Maybe it`s just the camera.

4/23/15       #9: Customer Mistake ...
JeffD

KISS….make a filler and stick it in the gap. Even better…..make an overlay filler that sticks out as a shallow ledge. It will look like additional support for the sink and fit right in. As Sam mentioned you already have cracking there anyway, not to mention the d/w panel looks like it's seam is showing in a bad way as well. Trying to hit the client for a $1000 fix on something that has other issues anyway seems a bit unethical to me. Granted it's their fault and should pay, just not that kid of money for that kind of fix.

Even if you replace the whole cabinet it should be discounted for the above mentioned issues.

my 2 cents…good luck,
JeffD

4/23/15       #10: Customer Mistake ...
rich c.

Cut out the rail, put in a wider one with pocket screws from the back. Half hour in the shop, hour at the house. Not worth the fight.

4/23/15       #11: Customer Mistake ...
Pat Gilbert

Tim has this right, pick your fights this ain't one of em.

4/23/15       #12: Customer Mistake ...
JR Rutter Member

I would see if the countertop guys have enough material left to make a filler. Personally, I would like that look - it could easily have been designed that way.

4/24/15       #13: Customer Mistake ...
Derrek

Tell him to pound.sand your not.fixing his mistake unless he pays for it............

And he'll tell everyone that looks at his beautiful new kitchen what a jerk the contractor was and to not waste your time calling him for any future business needs.....

Or suck it up and make him feel like its a big.deal but tell him you'll take care of it for free but you want.a.great 5 star review on Yelp and your company Facebook page. Happy customers are literally worth millions of dollars in repeat and referral business and we bend over backwards to keep them happy so they will tell their friends how great we are.

4/24/15       #14: Customer Mistake ...
Joe  Member

I'm with Derrek and Tim, in the 20+ years i've been doing this,i have yet to tell a customer ,arrogant or not, it was their fault when it clearly was.you know that sign we see here and there that reads "if we do a good job tell others,if we don't tell us",well, that's almost always the exact opposite.

4/25/15       #15: Customer Mistake ...
ZDRAFT.COM Member

add a filler and move on...

4/30/15       #16: Customer Mistake ...
Mark B Member

I'd float him the a couple or three options with the one you want being free and each successive one being more costly. Along with that I'd tactfully weave in there that this is an issue that was clearly covered and pat him on the back with something like "hey, give yourself a break, you don't do thus every day and if this is the worst recovery you've got to make your doing pretty well".

Filler, stone filler, new cab. Filler free, new cab at full cost.

I see the crack at the dishwasher but the other response about rails and doors I just dont see. the slight misalignment where the doors meet in the sink base is likely imperceptible in real life. Anyone who has ever taken a photo of their work knows that photos are unbelievably harsh as compared to the real world.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)