Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Any clever systems for circulating WIP through your shop?

5/4/15       
Mel Member

Work-in-process going from one dept. to the other, stuff ready for delivery, etc...

Anyone get fancy with this?

5/5/15       #2: Any clever systems for circulating ...
tim schultz

Are you talking about how to move product or how to move information?

5/5/15       #3: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

Ah-- wasn't clear. Product.

5/5/15       #4: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Cabmaker

I would go with wheels but with all those crooked boards stored on your mezzanine you could maybe use them and hook up Sparky to a travois? For the smaller packages maybe a portable trebuchet?

5/5/15       #5: Any clever systems for circulating ...
David Waldmann  Member

We use three basic methods.

Small, easy to carry loads (a handful of moulding, one or two boards) are hand carried.

Medium to large loads are moved on carts. We have two basic types - one has a base about 24" (600mm) off the ground with a platform size of 24" x 48" (600mm x 1200mm) with built-in arms. These are used mostly for larger moulding orders, or small "blanks" (ripped or further processed strips). The other is more of a platform truck (aka factory cart) that can hold a full pack of lumber. They are about 15" (375mm) off the ground with a platform size of 32" x 60" (800mm x 1500mm). If you've never used one you probably would have a hard time believing that a single person (or, even a married one if they haven't gotten to old and lazy) can easily move 1500 BF (3.5 cubic meters) by themselves as long as the floor is smooth and flat.

Larger completed orders are metal-banded and then lifted off one of the bigger carts with a forklift and stacked for delivery. Most of our flooring orders are placed directly on a pallet at the final process location (it varies depending on various options).

5/5/15       #6: Any clever systems for circulating ...
BobbyS

I am still laughing at that picture of Mel and his dog!!
... that s__t is just hilarious!

Thank you for adding a year to my life. :-)

5/5/15       #7: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

pffft well apparently only David has a system :P

Came to the question as I'm trying to weigh the convenience of storing in height vs time it takes to do that (palletizing, strapping, wrapping, etc.)

So we did try Cabmaker's system, but as the boxes stored in height kept falling on the dogs, we went through several dogs and lots of clean-up. Now we sled the dog to the destination and carry the boxes...

5/5/15       #8: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

Oh wait--I think it seems like I'm asking how you get things from point A to point B. Not quite--more like momentary storage for bulky things that need to move often, in a somewhat confined space.

If you track say cabinet boxes...

1) Boxing dept makes boxes and cuts out backers. They store that until the full job is ready for the paint shop.

2) Painters stain/spray that job, then they get sent back to the boxing dept to attach the finished backers to the finished boxes.

2) b. Sometimes these need to go to the specialties dept for some additional add-ons)

3) Store the finished boxes until the full order is complete for shipping.

4) trucker picks these up and takes them away.

Are we the only people in the world that need to nerd out on doing this, taking up the least space possible? Egads. Must need more dogs!!

5/5/15       #9: Any clever systems for circulating ...
David Waldmann  Member

Mel, you know true Lean does not allow for idle WIP. If it's done at one process it's being worked on at the next!

Admittedly, our type of product is probably easier to handle than cabinets and their components*. We have enough carts so that material waiting for the next process (on the very rare occasion that happens!). Occasionally we will prepare "blanks" (hit-or-miss dressed and R2E) ahead of time, and we will just put them back in the warehouse. We have a bunch of tie-down straps that we use to stabilize these packs/stacks, and if the material is really narrow or unstable we may put thin stickers across in a couple places to keep them from "beach balling".

*It seems that most people on this forum are in cabinets. I've also heard it said here that moulding is a much easier business to operate profitably than cabinetmaking. So, are most people masochistic, or are all the moulding people just not looking around here because they have no problems and their business is spectacular?

5/5/15       #10: Any clever systems for circulating ...
cabmaker

I have a question about your picture Mel.
Which one is the employee?

5/5/15       #11: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

David--for sure was thinking about that. Cut down on WIP sounds good--but not sure to which extent you really can.

If the painting dept goes through 4-5 jobs a day, with varying finishes, and need for further processing from other depts after, I'm thinking you kinda have to live with a certain amount of WIP.

Can't really have the finisher switching guns every time someone makes a box, or the trucker delivering by piece. So you somewhat have to (momentarily) store those big bulky empty suckers--pretty space consuming. Even if it's for a few hours, they have to sit there.

I think cabinet folks are totally nuts for sure :)

5/5/15       #12: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

Cabmaker--both. The dog is just exceptionally better paid ;)

5/5/15       #13: Any clever systems for circulating ...
tim Schultz

Here's an article about how a small company fixed the finish bottleneck.

5/5/15       #14: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

Tim--I'd love to see that. Seems you have forgotten the link tho?

5/5/15       #15: Any clever systems for circulating ...
tim Schultz

http://www.fastcompany.com/58345/no-satisfaction-toyota

Article

5/5/15       #16: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

Hawk-eye on our paint shop bottle neck there :)

So how is your paint shop doing? You folks have been doing anything like described in the article?

5/6/15       #17: Any clever systems for circulating ...
David Waldmann  Member

Again, our product line is different, but here is how we handle the finishing process.

Most of what gets finished is from a make-to-stock material. Generally, once a day all current orders are pulled from our inventory racks and sent to finishing. They are separated by species/finish. Any custom jobs that were completed milling were sent to the same location as the other raw inventory and sent to finishing at the same time.

However, we also do a fair amount of hopping around on finish. We have about 8 guns, set up for each "type" (not necessarily color) of finish, with the proper needle and cap sizes. And we use the 3M PPS system so we can change colors in not much more than a minute. Of course, the standbys are set up in the AM and ready to pick up and spray on a moments' notice.

We have racks in the spray room as well as the packaging/chop room for finished product, and even have a cart that has a rack system built into it. It's one of the small carts with arms, and we drilled holes about every 2-3" (50-75mm) so that we can insert dowels. The dowels have a small "dado"(?) cut all around them at the point where the go through the arms so they don't shift sideways. We start out with no dowels on the bottom, and as each row fills up add another set of dowels. Once filled we generally reverse order, but you can sneak a piece out of the middle if you need to and are careful.

5/7/15       #18: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

David, I may be in cahoots with one of your employees, who tells me that a) your shop is decently sized b) also very well organized c) that you are a really good employer. So I'd love your opinion on this.

As for shop size, I'm thinking about this one a lot. How big is big enough? See, real estate in our area is no laughing matter. It'll eat up a ton of your overhead cost. So of course everyone tends to go as small as they can.

I'm thinking hey, lets play ball with this. Small space, big goods (lol). Go in height is my first thought. Gawd ain't making more land but the sky is forever, as is our shop ceiling.

But am I forgetting anything about height stored goods? Any logistical issues? Dunno.

My first thought is that the trucker is expensive. He's an employee, but with massive overtime. Spends a ton of time digging out orders, air spraying the dust of em, lugging them into the truck... lather, rinse and repeat.

So is storing boxes in pallets wrapped by non-overtime payed employees less costly? Then I guess he'd have to fork it all down. Then what--does he have to unwrap it all to truck it?

Not sure...

5/7/15       #19: Any clever systems for circulating ...
David Waldmann  Member

Going vertical is tempting, especially if you are already in a space that has high ceilings. The biggest challenge will be adequately protecting the material, as forklifts are very unforgiving. You will want pallets that are at least 2"/50mm bigger than the item being stored to reduce the likelihood of hitting something with it. And, as you suggested, you want something to keep dust and fingerprints off. Stretch wrap or movers' blankets are two options I would consider.

While they're not cheap, cantilever racks (available one- or two-sided) will give you a lot of storage quickly, and way cheaper than adding on or buying more building. The open structure of a cantilever rack will allow storage of long cabinet sections unlike a typical "pallet rack" that's designed for standard sized pallets.

I think that if it were me, I would have made (or, make yourself if you want) custom pallets deep enough to put two standard depth cabinets face to face, in various lengths up the the longest you typically produce. Make up cards with a place for job name/number, pallet # X of Y, delivery date, etc and staple them or make clips that hold them on each pallet. Make them big enough (and write in Magic Marker) you can read them from the forklift seat...

Depending on your delivery procedure, I would consider strapping the cabinets to the pallet (over the movers' blanket, with corner protectors) with ratchet straps when putting them in storage. Then, when it's time to ship you just pull the pallet and load it in the truck. Assuming you're using a box truck, and the cabinets are properly put on the pallet there should be no need to strap anything down inside the truck. Doing the prep work ahead of time (which needs to be done some time anyways) saves messing up a delivery because you forgot that X needed Y, as well as protecting stuff as it sits around.

Cantilever rack

5/9/15       #20: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

Those racks are nice. Pricey sure... time to nerd out a bit on what our (non) system costs.

-Trucker spends 1 hour on average every day shuffling things, to access what he needs for an order.

Lets assume he makes 16$ an hour.

-16 x 5 = 80$ a week. For one year 80 x 50 = 4 000$/year.

A floor person will spend time shuffling things around after the trucker is gone, to get the paint racks back by the paint shop, the shuffled items tucked in again, etc. Approx 30 minutes a day. Lets assume a 15$ an hour wage.

-7.50 x 5= 37.50 For one year 37.50 x 50= 1875$/year

Depts making goods will stack what they made as they can. But then the coordinator has to collect things for the paint shop, while shuffling. About 45 minutes a day.

Assuming the coordinator makes say 18$ an hour.... 13.5 x 5 = 67.50$ over a year 67.50 x 50 = 3375$ per year.

So shuffling, at a bare minimum, would be around 4000 + 1875 + 3375 = 9250$

So I'm thinking that would be a good restructuring budget? Workers have to put finished product somewhere, might as well put it somewhere designated that won't move twice.

This is without counting the fact that the trucker is often doing overtime, so x 1 1/2 salary for over 40 hours, and the extra time taken to walk across the shop to retrieve things. Plus the bonus pissyness from shuffling lol.

Time to process map I think!

5/9/15       #21: Any clever systems for circulating ...
David Waldmann  Member

"Lets assume he makes 16$ an hour."

Fully burdened*, it's probably double that, plus or minus.

*add in benefits, including (in the US, at least) employers' portion of Social Security/Medicare, paid time off (two fifteen minute breaks a day is 2.5 hours a week), medical insurance, non-productive time, etc. Our fully burdened rate is somewhere around 2.5 times the hourly rate.

5/9/15       #22: Any clever systems for circulating ...
David Waldmann  Member

Oops, I forgot to add, there are cheaper places to get said racks as well. If you are serious about them and can't find a better place in Canada to get them, let me know - I don't have it at my fingertips, but I can find out where we got ours.

5/11/15       #23: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Puzzleman Member

Look for used racks. They are much cheaper. That's all I use as there is a company here in town stocked to the ceilings and beyond with used pallet racking of all kinds.

5/11/15       #24: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Alan F.

Mel,
The trucker is losing 250 hours a year when he could be delivering product. What happens if he could have delivered everything and returned back to the shop in a 8hour workday and now he either needs to work OT because of the hour he spent or deliveries get delayed throwing schedules off and causing more scheduling time.

If a fabricator is losing 30 minutes a day and his production works out to $100 per hour in SALES then we are losing the opportunity to increase capacity at minimal cost.

David,
I think if the trucker's time is 100% delivery and not related to production then his internal hourly rate for costing should be based on supporting the costs of the truck plus any other direct delivery costs rather than supporting the plant overhead which may be a higher burden.

A-

5/11/15       #25: Any clever systems for circulating ...
David Waldmann  Member

"I think if the trucker's time is 100% delivery and not related to production then his internal hourly rate for costing should be based on supporting the costs of the truck plus any other direct delivery costs"

In theory, yes. But do you really think it's actually LESS than a production worker? Depreciation on a truck is at least as much as any shop equipment, probably more (in reality - not for tax purposes). What about commercial insurance, WC is about the same, truck drivers still get holiday and medical insurance, etc. You also need a place to park the truck and keep up on the maintenance. I'd be interested to see a detailed study that showed truck drivers cost any less than shop workers.

And, as you said, that's assuming they're full time truck drivers. Most places don't have businesses big enough to justify that. So that means they aren't making money doing billable labor or at least doing non-billable labor so a skilled worker doesn't need to do it.

5/12/15       #26: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

Well, it appears that it is no longer my problem-- rolled out my big red tool box and gtfo'd this morning. Sitting under a tree finishing The Goal. You were right Dave, it's really good :)

Ps yes the trucker is a (more than) full time trucker, in house. They actually are that busy. Vancouver and area housing market is completely insane.

5/12/15       #27: Any clever systems for circulating ...
cabmaker

Mel,

Sometimes I think you are channeling Pat Gilbert.

I think I understand the GTF part of GTFO'd but not so much the O'd

5/12/15       #28: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

Hmmmm it appears it did not need the 'd. Woops!

5/12/15       #29: Any clever systems for circulating ...
cabmaker

Mel, are you telling us you are no longer with the firm?

5/12/15       #30: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

Indeed!

5/12/15       #31: Any clever systems for circulating ...
cabmaker

We're gonna miss you Mel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFUTHcjiZGo

5/12/15       #32: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

Haha-- not if i start making kitchens in my garage... then there will be so many posts TS will have to hire someone for a hit ;)

5/12/15       #33: Any clever systems for circulating ...
David Waldmann  Member

A sad but not entirely unexpected end. However, it is a surprise as it seemed things were going pretty well.

Anyways, all the best no matter what you do, but it better be in woodworking. We need more people like you here.

5/12/15       #34: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Alan F.

Does the trucker still work there with an unsolved problem :=)

5/12/15       #35: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Alan F.

David,
I guess how the truck costs are captured depends on how delivery is "sold". If they sell a kitchen, delivered as part of the kitchen cost then yes, all the costs need to be blended into the same OH bucket.

If they deliver and "subsidize" the delivery cost then the same rule applies. On the other hand if I am a customer1000 miles away and want to send my own tractor trailers to pick up completed kitchens for my high rise then why should the kitchens carry the overhead of a truck?

In our delivered and installed work I account for delivery as part of OH but we add mileage and delivery hours for anything above the first floor.
In our work that isn't delivered we charge for pallets, palleting, wrapping and loading as a separate cost. It allows us to focus on a product cost without all the excess labor to get it out the door.

Its not unusual for us to have packing and freight exceed the cost of the product.

A-

5/13/15       #36: Any clever systems for circulating ...
Mel

Thanks Dave :)

For sure won't stop woodworking. Odd love for it--esthetics, math, dead trees, and powerful machines, all into one. Can't beat that!

Alan--poor trucker doesn't stand a chance now lol

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)